New here, looking for tips on starting midwifery education: schools/self study/PEP/etc! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the information about the didactic portion of midwifery studies. I have looked at all of the programs, both MEAC and non-MEAC, and narrowed it down to a few that have the learning style and philosophies that I like. My only concern is that here in North Carolina, midwifery is illegal (practicing medicine without a license - a misdemeanor offense). The have a bill before the state senate right now that will make licensure for midwives available possibly as early as January 2012 (if she is CPM certified), but after December 31, 2013, if a person isn't already CPM certified she will only be able to get licensed if she attends a MEAC accredited school! Aacck!!! I want to begin this journey soo bad, but my hands are being tied. Since most of the didactic components take 1-2 years, and the PEP process for CPM can be quite intense, I'm stuck with only the MEAC accredited option. Any thoughts?

#32 of 52 Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 AM

As far as MEAC accredited schools go, the National Midwifery Institute is the most economical option.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#33 of 52 Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 PM

Have to jump in here and say that Ancient Art Midwifery Institute is wonderful and NOT a joke! In fact, there are many schools out there that have based THEIR curriculums off of it.  It is a very thorough and challenging program, which is why I chose it.  One of the great things about it (something that I always appreciated in professors at the college where I got my BS degree) is that the program challenges you to think through WHY you believe what you do.  Is it something that everybody has always said? What evidence is there that a particular practice is beneficial?  Who paid for the study?  Is this or that practice actually causing harm? What is the physiology that makes birth work?  They don't think for you. YOU have to do that.  It's a fabulous education, and well worth the money. I am putting 2 kids through college right now, and I don't believe that their education will be any better than that I'm getting through AAMI, but theirs is certainly more expensive! 

Lynsahm and Pirogi like this.
#34 of 52 Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 AM

I've heard many mixed things about AAMI from friends who were enrolled.  The biggest complaint: it wasn't worth the money.  It's A LOT of money!  That's why I chose www.midwifetobe.com  It's 25.00 per unit and you pay as you go, but I have an apprenticeship that I'm starting a few weeks and just need a kick in the butt on reading.  I did do the AAMI Skillslab last year and though it was wonderful!

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#35 of 52 Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 AM

I think it's worth every penny to enroll in AAMI, although I understand money concerns in this economy.  I can't imagine anyone who has actually completed Orientation and gotten their curriculum could think it wasn't worth the money!  It's quite in depth, and all self-directed.  I guess that could be a reason some people aren't satisfied.  If a person doesn't want or doesn't know how to seek out information and answers, I could see them being disappointed.  But the staff and other students are very helpful with answering questions and trading ideas and information.  Plus, there are a lot of "extras" in the course.  Very worth it IMO.  I know that in the past some practicing midwives have enrolled in the course, just to round out their knowledge base.

#36 of 52 Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I am very happy with AAMI. I do not quite understand why some criticize it. Perhaps they haven't gone through the course? Maybe it is simply because AAMI is not MEAC approved -- by choice! -- so aspiring midwives don't believe there is value in the education? I base my assessment of value on what is learned as well as the process that gets me to my goal, not just a stamp of approval. For those who enjoy a challenge and want a thorough education, AAMI is wonderful!

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#37 of 52 Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Perhaps the criticism of AAMI comes largely from the claims and ideas of it's creator.....

Jane likes this.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#38 of 52 Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post

Perhaps the criticism of AAMI comes largely from the claims and ideas of it's creator.....

Can you be more specific?

#39 of 52 Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Which claims are you referring to? 

It seems to me that there is no need to criticize other courses or paths to midwifery. We each need to find the academic program and apprenticeship which suits us best. Midwives are a diverse group with differing needs. I knew right away that one or two different schools weren't for me. I don't go around discouraging others from attending them.

If we cannot allow our fellow midwives to plot their own courses, how is it that we will be able to allow mothers to be in charge of their births? We need to focus on our strengths as birth attendants who serve women and families. We need to focus on how we can protect their rights to birth their babies wherever and with whomever they want. Tearing each other down -- and in a vague manner -- isn't going to help anyone.

So ...  please share your negative impressions and perhaps those of us who are current AAMI students can shed some light on common misconceptions.

greenhands likes this.

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#40 of 52 Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM

There is thread after thread about AAMI and all of the pros and cons in the archives. Tons!!! I would suggest you check those out I don't think we need to rehash it. I think the main criticisms of AAMI is all of the cost up front, midwifery beliefs of Carla Hartley aka Trust Birth Movement, and claims that other programs were stolen or copied from AAMI. Also the fact that anyone who ever criticized AAMI gets attacked by people on this list. Happens all the time, happened to me and I received dozens of private emails from AAMI students who were unhappy but were afraid and even bullied(their words not mine) to speak out and share their experiences. Personally I don't really care. I am just glad there are many options.

Luvmykiddos03 likes this.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#41 of 52 Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post

There is thread after thread about AAMI and all of the pros and cons in the archives. Tons!!! I would suggest you check those out I don't think we need to rehash it. I think the main criticisms of AAMI is all of the cost up front, midwifery beliefs of Carla Hartley aka Trust Birth Movement, and claims that other programs were stolen or copied from AAMI. Also the fact that anyone who ever criticized AAMI gets attacked by people on this list. Happens all the time, happened to me and I received dozens of private emails from AAMI students who were unhappy but were afraid and even bullied(their words not mine) to speak out and share their experiences. Personally I don't really care. I am just glad there are many options.

A huge :yeahthat: to the first bolded statement.  The second bolded statement is a HUGE red flag for me.  There are just so, so, so many things.   I have massive amounts of homework tonight for various classes,  so I really do not have enough time to go into lots of detail - but the 2nd statement is a generalized statement of so, so, so much that is wrong with AAMI.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#42 of 52 Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 AM

I was just wanting to make sure I understand. All the schools I see you all talking about, they are for CPM?

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#43 of 52 Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Yes - all of the above are CPM 'schools'.

I'm getting my under grad from U of SC and my grad degree from Frontier or East Carolina for my CNM

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#44 of 52 Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Hi. I am a certified doula and childbirth educator who is looking into midwifery school as well.  I had considered AAMI, but the financial commitment is just too much for us right now.  I'm looking at MIA, but I'm thinking more and more of doing a self-study.  I homeschooled all 5 of my children (3 are grown, still schooling 15 and 9 yr old) so I don't think I'll have much trouble.  I am already self-studying really - reading books, doing research, etc - and spend about 30-40 hrs a week at it.  I was also an EMT for many years and studied a year of Paramedic training.  Yes!!!  It is a WONDERFUL resource for midwifery students!!!!  There is so much  I learned through it and through running with a rescue squad that will help me in my midwifery career - both skills and confidence!  I highly, highly, highly suggest you go through with the EMT class!  Also, get your CPR (usually included in EMT) and Neonatal Resuscitation.  I would love to start an online study group with anyone who is doing a self-taught midwifery curriculum!  I think we could help each other and encourage each other a lot!  Let me know if anyone is interested!  You can email me at  callmydoula@gmail.com .

#45 of 52 Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM

I'd really recommend checking out the book Paths to Becoming a Midwife.

#46 of 52 Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM

notes2.gif

#47 of 52 Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM

I am taking my NARM in Feb. I did self study for 8 years, and lots of conferences, workshops and classes. As well as attending births in many different settings, including first catching babies at a tiny birth center with a traditional Mexican midwife. (you can read my website, if you want to hear my story:) ) I am excited to be close to the end of this part of the journey, but I will never be done learning! I decided to take the Mercy In Action modules for a definitive study guide for the NARM. I have 5 (of 18) more modules to go, (should be working on em now!) and it has proven to be a great help. I have done a lot of review with them, and was able to fill in gaps of subjects that I missed or did little of during my studies.

I just heard the National College of Midwifery will give you their modules for free! They don't correct them, you have to do that yourself. But pretty good deal.

many blessings

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

#48 of 52 Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Rin

Subbing for info for myself as I'm starting my education path for PEP as well. :)

phathui5 likes this.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#49 of 52 Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Subbing!  So much information to get my research into my own path started :)

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#50 of 52 Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthBliss View Post

I am taking my NARM in Feb. I did self study for 8 years, and lots of conferences, workshops and classes. As well as attending births in many different settings, including first catching babies at a tiny birth center with a traditional Mexican midwife. (you can read my website, if you want to hear my story:) ) I am excited to be close to the end of this part of the journey, but I will never be done learning! I decided to take the Mercy In Action modules for a definitive study guide for the NARM. I have 5 (of 18) more modules to go, (should be working on em now!) and it has proven to be a great help. I have done a lot of review with them, and was able to fill in gaps of subjects that I missed or did little of during my studies.

I just heard the National College of Midwifery will give you their modules for free! They don't correct them, you have to do that yourself. But pretty good deal.

many blessings

How do you get access to those? Do you have to contact them?

#51 of 52 Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM

You can access them through their website.

#52 of 52 Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 AM

2littlebirds,

Just wondering how your self-studying is going? Did you decide on Midwifery Institute of America? I am currently looking at it too and would love some input from you.

Tags
Midwifery Programs , Midwifery Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page