How to convince MD that water birth is not dangerous to baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

I've had three kids, and am pregnant with my fourth. My middle two were born at home in the water with midwives attending, which I loved. Unfortunately, we can't have a midwife for this birth, but we have found a doctor who is willing to let me bring a birthing tub into the hospital, but who's literature states that water birth is dangerous for the baby. 

I can't see myself getting out of the tub to push, when the water has always been an incredible help in pain management during my labours. So....any advice on how to convince him that actually delivering in the water is fine?

Thanks, 

Anno

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 PM

there are some great resources at www.waterbirth.org, good luck!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Trying to change the OBs mindset will almost certainly backfire.  If that is his belief, you are not likely to change that.  Educate, but don't expect him to alter his practice style for you. 

If a water birth is what you want, (and there are many, many good reasons to want it!), then seek a provider who truly supports it, practices it, and understands the benefits of it. 

#4 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the closest midwives are two hours away and I don't feel it's safe to drive two hours for a fourth babe. We live in a small town in rural Alberta, and the doctor I have is amazingly open to everything we've talked about so far. 

I'll check out the waterbirth site, thank you for the resource.

Anno

#5 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you have gotten an ok for laboring in the pool? That is pretty good.
The trouble may be more complex than just convincing that individual doc it may be the OB committee, and/or all of his coverage partners. Over the years I have meet some great docs and they are hemmed in, one I can think of kept loosing her hospital previledges, another we transfered a primip in and she met us spent about 15 minutes and said ok after we do a little monitor strip then go get something to eat. Well she no more than stepped out the door and the nurse was oppositional and told us how she was going to do things no matter what the doc said luckily or maybe by design the doc stepped back in and the nurse had to back off. So that was the power structure of the hospital giving that nurse the feeling she has permission to ignore what the doc says to some degree , if it is different than what the committe or atleast the chair's ideas/preferences are. Do they have wireless monitors? If they dont then intermittent monitoring will be a piece that needs discussion as will having long gloves,and aprons that are water proof
So my best advice would be to find the most supportive nurse/nurses on shift when you go in .
#6 of 6 Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I have been looking on MDC for answers because I have the EXACT same problem. I am not pregnant again yet, but my first was a hospital birth with an OB because the closest midwives are 2 hours away. The birth was all natural and I spent the entire labour in the shower, but I soooooooooo wanted a water birth and a midwife and now that I have experienced a natural hospital birth, I just can't get over how much I want it to be different next time. So, my question to the OP is what ended up happening? Did you have a water birth? Or at least labour in the birthing pool? Also, I am super excited that you are located in rural Alberta (so am I!!!)

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page