Looking for research on newborn assessment timing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've put together this very lovely module (aka powerpoint presentation) for our birth center's nursing staff on skin to skin contact immediately after birth. I want to include 'proof' that the nursing assessment (weight, length mostly...the visual assessment can of course be done while on mom's abdomen) in the face of a healthy appearing/sounding newborn, can wait until after the first breastfeeding session.

After hunting down something solid to reference for half an hour, I thought I'd just ask! Anyone know of any research I can point to?

Thanks!

Nicole
#2 of 2 Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
rrs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have anything with an exact time quote, but the American Academy of Pediatrics' Policy Statement on Breastfeeding states that "The alert, healthy newborn infant is capable of latching on to a breast without specific assistance within the first hour after birth. Dry the infant, assign Apgar scores, and perform the initial physical assessment while the infant is with the mother. The mother is an optimal heat source for the infant. Delay weighing, measuring, bathing, needle-sticks, and eye prophylaxis until after the first feeding is completed."

The whole Policy Statement is here: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496

Hope that helps!

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page