looking for a traveling midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi, i don't post much but have gotten a lot of wonderful advice searching through these forums.  i am currently pregnant, and was planning a home birth up until two days ago.  i went in for my 20 week ultrasound and found out that i was having twins!  a huge surprise, hadn't suspected a thing.  unfortunately where i am living it would be illegal for my mw to attend my birth.  i am ok with transferring to an ob for prenatal monitoring, but i'd really rather not give birth in a hospital unless absolutely necessary.  the twins are di/di and i've had two previous uncomplicated natural deliveries good sized healthy babies.  so i am wondering if anyone out there knows a midwife with twin experience who would be open to the idea, and willing to travel to attend the birth provided there was no complications, i go to 37 weeks, at least baby a is vertex, etc? thanks for any help you can offer - i really would like these babies to have a peaceful, gentle birth.

#2 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Where do you live? I have done 4 sets of twins (one set born yesterday in the water) and one of my old preceptors have done probably 8 sets. Rather than a traveling midwife it is much more common for the twin family to travel to the midwifes area. I know several people who have done that.

WifeofAnt likes this.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#3 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply!  we are in florida.  where are you?  i have heard of this too, and would be open to this as well.  :) 

#4 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM

I could probably come.  I'm not yet committed to  any other births in that time slot. After my 11-1 lady delivers, I'm off call until 12-3. I usually practice with another midwife, or 2  if it's twins. Of course we would need to discuss many things before I could promise. I'd be  glad to talk.

#5 of 13 Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just want to drop in here and give a bit of advice to both the OP and any non-Florida-licensed midwives who are thinking about helping the OP.

Please, OP, consider going to another state to homebirth your twins if you would like to be attended by a midwife.  There ARE a few Florida-licensed midwives who may consider helping you with your twins, but it will be very difficult to find them and you would definitely have to talk with them in person.  No licensed midwife in the state of Florida will tell you over the phone that they can help you with twins.

To any traveling midwives (who are not licensed by the state of Florida) considering going to Florida to help the OP, please make sure you are willing to be prosecuted to do this.  There are many licensed midwives in Florida who will literally call the authorities if they found out that you were attending any births in Florida.

Florida is NOT a safe place to attend births for ANY midwives (CPM's, non-credentialed midwives, even midwives licensed in other states) who are not licensed by the state of Florida.

OP, good luck with your search.  Not allowing midwives to attend mothers who are pregnant with twins or breech babies (in exchange for being licensed and being able to accept insurance and Medicaid) is one of the biggest disservices Florida has ever done to women and babies, in my opinion.  Many blessings to you and your babies for a beautiful, gentle birth.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#6 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM

I was wondering if you were able to find a travelling midwife to help you birth your twins at home in Florida.  I am now in your situation.  I just found out last week we were having twins and I also live in Florida.  Please inform me of help that may help me continue my desire of having a home birth with our twins.

The twins are fraternal and very healthy thus far.  I have had 2 natural births..with one at home.  My midwife can't help me of course because of the law so I need to find a travelling midwife who can.

We put a phone call in to The Farm and still waiting to hear from them as well, but we would like to stay in Florida so my husband can attend the birth whereas if I was in TN it would be very hard for him to get there in time.  It is also during the Christmas season and would like to be home for then as well.

Thanks in Advance.  I hope to hear from you soon.

#7 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 PM

I am in Minnesota and we love to help twins into the world up here!! If you want to head north, you would be well supported! 

Sarah, midwife AND mom of twins (born at home at 40w3d)

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#8 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 PM

If I end up having to travel (DH not to excited about having to travel) I will go the Farm in TN if they have an opening.  It would be closer to us as well.  I really wish I could find someone that would come here.  I have a friend that lives 5 minutes from me and has a seperate suite on her house with a nice bedroom and bathroom.  There isn't a kitchen, but we could work something out for food/meals.  Anyone want to be in Sunny Florida during the cold months up north?  Anyone want to help me?  I really need someone and would love to hear from you!  Thanks!

Please email me at MallieRD@gmail.com if you are interested or have any advice.  Thanks.

#9 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Where in Minnesota are you?  We have family in Duluth.  :)

#10 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM

I am in the Twin Cities area. St. Paul. It is about two and a half hours south. However, there are great midwives in Duluth that catch twins too! Just google homebirth midwives duluth. 

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#11 of 13 Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Anyone in GA..near athens?  Anyone near Asheville, NC?

#12 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Are you in FL looking for midwife to deliver twins? Check with Miriam Pearson at Palms Birth ctr or Angela Love (midwife love.com)

#13 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM

where in FL?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page