Just starting out...so confused! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Currently I'm a nanny, I also have my CNA, and have finished my nursing pre-requisites. I started off heading for nursing school, wanting to work L&D, and then later become a midwife with my own practice. Until last week, no one (as in teachers and mentors) had ever mentioned that I could become a midwife without being a nurse. If so I would have done this long ago, as I really don't like the idea of working for a hospital.

So anyway...here I am, trying to figure out all this new information I have available. I want to do homebirths, I want to be able to study on my own, but I'm just not clearly understanding the licencing, I think. I'm in CA and it seems the only option is for me to go through NMI to be licensed? But I really like the fact that I can get a degree from NCM. But if I go through NCM, how do I go about getting my license since it's not on the state's approved school list? I also don't understand what NARM has to do with any of it, or how a PEP works.

Can someone point me in the right direction or explain it all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

In my opinion if you have all ready done the prereqs for a ADN or BSN program and are a CNA then you should go for the RN route! I too just finished my pre-reqs and am a CNA. I start an ADN program this fall and plan to do a online BSN program then MSN. You do not have to work at a hospital as an RN. The clinic I went to for OB care with my son had RN's working at the clinic who were all hoping to become CNMs and then once they become CNM's they work in the birth center.

Have you been accepted to a RN program yet? Are you on a waitlist? If you're accepted I'd say don't turn down a good thing since there are so many other pre-nursing students out there that wish they could finish their prereqs with good enough grades to get into nursing school. If you are on a wait list how long is the wait? If it is only a year, maybe become a doula while you wait. But if the wait list is as long as a direct entry midwife program would be then I guess doing the direct route would be best. You could always go back to school to become an RN after the wait if you want.

be good family...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you decide to pursue an ADN, Frontier Nursing School has an online/distance option called the "Bridge" which helps you transition from an ADN to a MSN in Nurse-Midwifery.  This is a school that many CNMs who attend homebirths use.

http://www.frontierschool.edu/academics/adn-msn-bridge

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

User Tag List