Mothering Forum banner

Completed my apprenticeship now what?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  completebeginnings 
#1 ·
I completed my apprenticeship earlier this year and am taking the NARM in February. I live is a great state for midwifery and have begun taking my own clients :) (preceptors will attend all my births as a second midwife for probably the first 20 births I do of my own clients) The question is what happens between my preceptors and myself? I am curious what others have done.

-Still attending births with preceptor?

-Only doing your own clients?

-Partnership?

-Getting paid as a second midwife?

-Moved to a different area?

What has been your experience both personally and what you plan to do with your apprentices?

Thanks

#2 ·
I moved to a new area when I finished my apprenticeship and began my practice here. Had I stayed where I was, I would have likely continued to work with a preceptor of mine, attending her births as a 2nd midwife and having her do the same for me while having our own practices.

#6 ·
-Still attending births with preceptor?

I did so for the 9 months between finishing my portfolio and receiving my certification. I still attend the occasional birth with my preceptor if she wants an experienced assistant/2nd midwife. Neither my preceptor or I were interested in a partnership... we work well together but wanted our own practices. Also, we live 2 hours apart so a partnership is just not practical.

-Getting paid as a second midwife?

I do get paid, about 10-15% of the birth fee.

-Moved to a different area?
No, but as I said, we already live 2 hours away from each other!

In the "flux period" I mentioned above, my preceptor attended my client's births as 2nd mw and I would attend hers as 2nd mw. I also attended births with a couple of other midwives on a somewhat regular basis.

Since becoming certified, I accept clients on my own... if I expect to need an experienced 2nd, I ask my former preceptor to assist me. And I still get a lot of opportunities to attend births as 2nd midwife with some other midwives which I view as a great opportunity.

I foresee a solo practice along with attending births as 2nd for many years to come. As for apprentices, I don't foresee myself taking on an apprentice any time soon, I really want to grow into my practice first. I do however have another midwife's apprentice who will be assisting at a few births. :)

Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.