Completed my apprenticeship now what? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I completed my apprenticeship earlier this year and am taking the NARM in February. I live is a great state for midwifery and have begun taking my own clients :) (preceptors will attend all my births as a second midwife for probably the first 20 births I do of my own clients) The question is what happens between my preceptors and myself? I am curious what others have done.

-Still attending births with preceptor?

-Only doing your own clients?

-Partnership?

-Getting paid as a second midwife?

-Moved to a different area?

What has been your experience both personally and what you plan to do with your apprentices?

Thanks

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#2 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I moved to a new area when I finished my apprenticeship and began my practice here. Had I stayed where I was, I would have likely continued to work with a preceptor of mine, attending her births as a 2nd midwife and having her do the same for me while having our own practices.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

And how would that have looked financially Erika? How much are 2nd midwives paid in your area? TIA

#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 AM

What a good question. I've always wondered how the 2nd gets paid.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post

And how would that have looked financially Erika? How much are 2nd midwives paid in your area? TIA

In the area that I lived before the rate that my preceptor and I had worked out was $350 for the 2nd midwife.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 7 Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM

-Still attending births with preceptor?

I did so for the 9 months between finishing my portfolio and receiving my certification.  I still attend the occasional birth with my preceptor if she wants an experienced assistant/2nd midwife.  Neither my preceptor or I were interested in a partnership... we work well together but wanted our own practices.  Also, we live 2 hours apart so a partnership is just not practical. 

-Getting paid as a second midwife?

I do get paid, about 10-15% of the birth fee.

-Moved to a different area?
No, but as I said, we already live 2 hours away from each other!

In the "flux period" I mentioned above, my preceptor attended my client's births as 2nd mw and I would attend hers as 2nd mw.  I also attended births with a couple of other midwives on a somewhat regular basis.  

Since becoming certified, I accept clients on my own... if I expect to need an experienced 2nd, I ask my former preceptor to assist me.  And I still get a lot of opportunities to attend births as 2nd midwife with some other midwives which I view as a great opportunity.

I foresee a solo practice along with attending births as 2nd for many years to come.  As for apprentices, I don't foresee myself taking on an apprentice any time soon, I really want to grow into my practice first.  I do however have another midwife's apprentice who will be assisting at a few births.  :)

Best of luck!

#7 of 7 Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It has been an awkward transition but I am making the most of it. Still attending lots of births with other midwives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page