Student Midwife Deciding on Academics Program - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone~

I am starting my apprenticeship this fall and I am trying to decide on an academic midwifery program. I am currently working on a distance learning course through Birth Arts International that will certify me as a Monitrice & Midwife's Assistant. I will be finishing up this course work in 6-8 months. At that time I want to enroll in some type of distance learning Midwifery school. I am not interested in doing Ancient Art for a few different reasons that I really don't want to get into. I am also not interested in the accredited programs that are out there.

From the programs that I've been able to find, two are at the top of my list. Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery and the Living Tree International College of Midwifery. I like that these schools are in depth and you can work at your own pace. I am leaning towards Living Tree for a few reasons. One of those being that it is a non-profit school and the tuition is based on your ability to pay.

So I'm wondering if any of you have any feedback for me about these two programs? And also, do you know of any great schools that I may have missed so far in my searches??

Thanks~

Bethany

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#2 of 9 Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I've actually never heard of the Living Tree one. Can you post the website?

Also, how are you liking the BAI Montrice training? 

Sorry I can't offer more input on school choice, I am going through Midwife To Be for academics, which is another great one, not sure if you've looked into it or not.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#3 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the link to the Living Tree program's website:

http://www.birthandwellness.com/school/index.php

I really like the Birth Arts International program :) It's work at your own pace. I think the programs they have encourage you to figure out what you really believe about birth and supporting women so that you can find your own style of practice that suits you the most. I like that you don't have to prescribe to any certain method or school of thought.

I have looked into Midwife to Be but it wasn't at the top of my list. I'd love to hear your experience with the program!

#4 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM

I had originally began the midwife to be program - went through 8 months of it - and decided it was not for me.  Basically, you pay $25 per lesson.  Each lesson there is a reading assignment, one project, and a few skills to 'master'.  That is it.  It's very self directed.  No actual teaching at all.  No lectures, studies, ect...  I guess the idea between DEM/CPM education programs is that you learn 90% of your information through your apprenticeship with hands on learning.  If that is something that appeals to you, midwife to be may be a great option!  If you need a little more direction and want more than just a reading assignment, I'd search out more options.

In fact, decided midwifery as a CPM/DEM was not for me after learning many things that my eyes had previously not been open to.  I am now finishing up my nursing degree and pursuing midwifery as a certified nurse midwife. 

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#5 of 9 Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I like the MTB program, but that's what kind of learner I am. It gives you the topic basically, and you use resources outside of the program to learn. For the price, it really provides a good amount of structure and keeps you on track. It definitely should not be an "all-in-one" type program, you will need to go out on your own and research and work with a midwife.

As the PP said, if you're wanting to apprentice now/soon/in the near future, the MTB program is great. If you're planning on going solo for a bit first, it might get a little more difficult.

Sorry if this is vague, it's kinda late haha.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#6 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've just started with the National Midwifery Institute.

You mentioned that you're not interested in accredited programs. I'm curious. Why is that?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 9 Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

There are a couple of reasons why I don't want to go with an accredited school. The first being that the cost of the programs is more than I can afford at this time. The second is that going with an accredited school does not have any impact on my getting my CPM credential. I can go with a less expensive academics program and go through my apprenticeship and PEP process and sit for the CPM exam. Paying out the wazoo for an accredited program will not change any of that for me. I understand that the accredited programs may offer a more comprehensive education, but I think that the Living Tree school will also provide me with an excellent didactic experience without the cost of the accredited programs.

#8 of 9 Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Just so you know some states are considering only accepting CPMs that have been to an accredited school.  This has also been an issue on the national level.  The ACNM and AMA want all midwives to have an "education" that is formal.  Now I am not saying I don't think differently but not attending a MEAC school could very much impact your future career and legal status.

#9 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

National College of Midwifery is MEAC accredited and is not nearly as expensive as many others.  I finished this program and was well prepared for the NARM exam.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page