CNM training (Frontier or other distance ed) and homebirth question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am considering either my CPM or CNM. I was wondering what the training is like for distance ed MSN programs? Is it a full time apprenticeship or how does your week/year look?

Also, does anyone know which states are good for CNMs to attend homebirths? Preferably without doctor backup, but including those for reference. I know here in IL it is legal with Doc backup, but it is impossible to find a doctor to back you up. So those states are off of my list.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are CNMs who do homebirth in the Naperville area. I'm considering becoming a CNM for homebirth many years down the road so I can work in Illinois. And, last I heard, there's a bill up that would give APNs (CNMs included, I believe) more autonomy in their practice. If that happens, and it very well might, down the road it could be perfectly legal for CNMs to attend homebirths.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 14 Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, I want to move out of this state anyway. wink1.gif I just know right now it is so hostile to midwives.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 14 Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 PM

North Carolina CNMs can birth out of hospital with an OB backup.  I personally know several of them and all of them said it was easy to find a supportive OB to use as backup.

I'm finishing up my nursing degree and then I'll be going to Frontier and doing their distance ADN-MSN bridge and their nurse midwifery masters program.  It is a WONDERFUL school.  It is highly recommended and very well known.

The difference between a CPM and CNM is vast.  I was headed down the road of a CPM recently and attended 'school' for 8 months to become one.  My eyes were opened to many things and I made the choice to pursue midwifery as a CNM instead.  If you'd like more information or have any questions please let me know.  I started a blog recently that gives more information as to the why's regarding my decision to pursue midwifery as a CNM instead of a CPM and that may help you in your choice as well.

www.midwifeology.blogspot.com

Good luck!

anchorbirth likes this.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#5 of 14 Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Oh and regarding the training specific to Frontier - here is what I was told.

All of FNU's programs are 100% distance education.  There are requirements to come to FNU 1-3 times per program depending on the particular program.  Clinicals are arranged in your own hometown!

ADN-MSN Bridge.  

This is a 12 month program that takes you from your associates degree in nursing to the masters degree program.  It is for those who do not hold a bachelor's degree.  There are 8 classes broken down into 4 "terms" during that 12 months.  So you have 3 months to complete 2 classes before moving on.  You can also choose a part time option I believe and it is 18 months long if I remember correctly.

The classes for the ADN-MSN Bridge are:

• N400 Physical Assessment - 3
  • N401 Communications - 3
  • N404 Statistics - 3
  • N406 Leadership - 3
  • N407 Theory and Research - 3
  • N408 Community Health - 3
  • N409 Community Health Practicum - 2
  • Clinical Specialty Track coursework - 2 or 3
  • Crossing the Bridge

The Physical Assessment class and the Statistics class can be taken BEFORE entering the program at a community college or tech school or university.  You just need to have the class approved by FNU.  Helps to cut down on the load.

You have to actually go to FNU (Frontier Nursing University) twice during the bridge program.  Once at the very beginning and once during the end.  The practicum is a clinical class and clinicals are done in your hometown!  You choose a CNM that is local to you (has to be a CNM, not a LM/CPM/DEM) and do your practicum under her. 

The total cost for the ADN-MSN Bridge program is $9,000 and there is financial aid and student loans available.  You can apply through FAFSA for federal financial aid.  

Master's Degree in Nurse-Midwifery

The CNEP (Community-based Nurse-midwifery Education Program) can be taken full time or part time as well and is 100% distance also.  Part time students can complete the program in  12 terms (3 years) and full time in 9 terms (2 years).

The classes for the CNEP program are:

Term 1:
NM601 History of NM - 2
PC604 Pathophysiology - 3
PC606 Nursing Theory - 3

TOTAL CREDITS: 8

Term 2:
PC605 Decision Making - 2
NM602 Reproductive Physiology - 2
PC618 Research - 3

TOTAL CREDITS: 7

Term 3:
PC600 Health Promotion - 2
PC612 Pharmacology - 3
PC617 Primary Care I - 3

Term 4:
NM617 Antepartum Care - 4
NM619 Post Partum / Newborn Care - 3
NM610 Community Assessment - 1

Term 5:
NM618 Intrapartum Care - 4
PC615 Women's Health - 3
NM609 Market Research - 1

Term 6:
NM621 Advanced Antepartum - 3
NM622 Advanced Intrapartum - 3
NM623 Advanced Postpartum / Newborn - 2

Term 7:
NM630 Advanced Women's Health - 1

Clinical Bound 
PC628 Skills for PC - 1
NM639 Skills for NM - 1

NM 641 NM Clinical 1 - 0-3

TOTAL CREDITS: 3-3

Term 8:
NM642 NM Clinical II - 0-3
NM643 NM Clinical III - 0-3

TOTAL CREDITS: 0-6

Term 9:
NM638 Health Policy - 1-0
NM644 NM Clinical IV - 0-6

TOTAL CREDITS: 1-6

Total Credits:

51 Didactic - 15 Clinical

The entire first year is devoted to didactic training.  The entire second year is 80% clinicals and 20% didactic classes.  Again, clinicals are arranged in  your own hometown.  You are required to go to the FNU campus I believe it is 3 times during the entire Master's Degree program.  Once upon entrance into the program, once at the beginning of clinicals, and once at the end.

The total cost for the CNEP program is $29,700 for full time.  Again, federal financial aid is available.

Go "like" them on facebook.  All the ladies there are very helpful and happy to answer questions! I hope that helped break down more about frontier!

happyhippimama likes this.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#6 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 04:10 PM

For those who are thinking of doing an online CNM program, look into East Carolina as well. I looked at Frontier also because I live in North Carolina and midwifery is illegal, but now with the government no longer offering subsidized financial aid to graduate students as of July 2012, Frontier is cost- prohibitive for me ($29,000 plus) whereas ECUs program as a state resident was more affordable (Around $10k). Sooo... if you live in North Carolina, I would suggest checking out ECUs midwifery website www.ecumidwifery.net. Only drawback - they do want you to take the GRE which I fel is ridiculous if you already have a bachelor's and master's degree in other subjects (just my 2 cents on standardized tests).

#7 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM

To HayHayJarsmom,

Correction: Midwifery is not illegal in North Carolina!  There are 9 and soon to be 10 Homebirth Practicing CNMs in this state, North Carolina.  Some of the homebirth CNMs have been practicing since the mid 90's, and ALL Legally!

Also, I encourage you ladies to also check out SUNY @ StonyBrook's CNM program, too.

Karen Benfield, CNM, MSN & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery

A homebirth, well woman, gyn, family planning, menopause, and primary medicine nurse-midwifery practice

#8 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Hey, all, I just found out because of some new grads/newly licensed CNMs in NC & one (not too new CNM) opening a homebirth practice a little north of Mebane, NC that there are now 13 CNMs doing homebirths  in NC!

Great News!

Karen Benfield, CNM ^ Owner of BirthTender Midwifery

#9 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

BirthTender,

I was referring to Direct Entry Midwifery when I stated midwifery is illegal in NC. I know that CNMs are legal in all 50 states, but I wanted to note that CPMs/DEMs are not legal here. A person may want to consider that point if they are thinking of a route to midwifery other than CNM.

I am glad to see that there is more support being offered to the CNMs in this state that want to provide out-of-hospital birthing choices to women. I don't live that far from Mebane and I think it's really exciting that a new homebirth practice will be opening there soon.

I am an aspiring midwife (CNM) and hope to meet some of the midwives in my area soon. Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Shalom,

Hayhayjarsmom

#10 of 14 Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 AM

Do you think the ADN-MSN Bridge is the best route as opposed to obtaining a BSN first and then going into the midwifery program?

#11 of 14 Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM

HayHayJarsMom,

Did you know that each state chapter of the ACNM offers a scholarship to nurse-midwifery students. and also the ACNM itself offers generous scholarships. I can't remember how many, but it seems that I recall hearing awards mentioned to several students at past ACNM meetings. Also, SUNY@Stonybrook had nice grants that all Stonybrook students received. I also researched, extensively,  for an entire year for every single kind of scholarship or grant that I qualified for, Now this did mean that I, occasionally wrote papers on various topics that were as long as 5-6 pages & some as short as one page. Sometimes, I had to go and meet with the scholarship committees. However, I was VERY determined to locate funding for my Master's degree/nurse-midwifery in any way possible! In the months that I wrote papers & actually applied for various local, state, and countrywide scholarships, I easily spent 40 hours/week for a 2 full months, once I was accepted. I did apply to SUNY at the earliest moment that I could, too.

I've been creative in funding even my ADN which I started way back in 1983. To earn money for my first semester of part time hours, I cleaned, scraped, cut & packaged venison for a packaging  company that was run by a parishoner of my ex husband's church (he used to be a minister in one of the poorest counties of New York state at that time.  I'm a very frugal person, too, so I cut back on lots of waht some would call necessities, as I did have to pay from some of my savings, and I had 2 kids in college at the same time, too & I was a single mom, too.

One place to start is check out www.allscholarships.com

If I can be of any help to you, please contact me,

Karen Benfield, CNM, MSN & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery a Homebirth, well woman/gyn, family planning, menopausal & primary care nurse-midwife.

#12 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatalie78 View Post

Do you think the ADN-MSN Bridge is the best route as opposed to obtaining a BSN first and then going into the midwifery program?

I'm was one of the first graduate's of the Bridge program.  I would be happy to answer any ?s you have about it.  I think it is a great option. The year you spend completing Bridge coursework is essentially equivalent to a BSN bridge, although you are not awarded a BSN. 

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#13 of 14 Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Hi Amber! You are on the track that I'm trying to get on! I would love to talk to you more! I'm in KY, things are difficult here for Midwives, but I'm pursuing it anyway! There is a doula workshop at the end of March here in Lexington that I was considering attending. Was becoming a doula worth it to you? (since you're a nurse and pursuing midwifery).  I am also very interested in Frontier as well. CPM vs CNM? Wondering about this myself. Why'd you choose CNM?

#14 of 14 Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post

I'm was one of the first graduate's of the Bridge program.  I would be happy to answer any ?s you have about it.  I think it is a great option. The year you spend completing Bridge coursework is essentially equivalent to a BSN bridge, although you are not awarded a BSN. 

I would love to hear more!

I was planning the CPM route... after we moved to El Paso I wanted to attend Maternidad La Luz, but after much thought I do believe I'll be starting my pre-req's for my ADN, and then hopefully do the Bridge Program through Frontier. My only concern is receiving that one year of experience. Still working on that plan.

Tags
Nurse Midwife , Midwifery Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page