Student Midwives- What supplies are you buying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was just wondering what supplies you all are buying or have bought and in what order?

When I was at the Midwifery Conference, I got a stethoscope and a fetoscope. I also have gloves (non-sterile) in my bag.

I'm just starting out as an apprentice/student.

What should I get next? When did you buy things?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 7 Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Doppler asap. I know they are expensive. I got a Nicolette off of cragslist for $70 bucks early on. Manual BP cuff. Doula type stuff(which you already should have). I put off instruments and oxygen until the end because they are so expensive. A scale and sling and measuring tape are nice so you can run and do post partum visits.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#3 of 7 Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 PM

I have a stethoscope, fetoscope, gloves, bp cuff, mini Mag flash light and will be purchasing a sling and scale soon.  I'm looking for a deal on a Nicolet doppler.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#4 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm getting the sling scale and blood pressure cuff next.

#5 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM

I would recommend finding a latex free cuff.  Some people have a latex allergy.  Also, get one that comes with different sizes.  Anne Frye was at the last Eugene conf. I attended (3 years ago?) and was showing us the importance of cuff size, placement, etc.  Get an adult medium, large and x-large.  You're serving women of all sizes and shapes.  Getting a doppler is good but I would start out listening for tones with your fetoscope for good practice.  Also, along with all of your equipment, start an information library.  Print articles on sources of iron, protien, etc, general nutrition, GBS, find sources for doulas, massage therapists, chiropractors, etc. 

Just my .02

BirthIsAwesome likes this.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#6 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 AM

When I started out apprenticing I had: stethoscope, fetoscope, BP cuff, sling/scale, cm. measuring tape, non-sterile gloves, homeopathic arnica, homeopathic labor mixture (caulophyllum, pulsatilla, cimicifuga), and HemHalt tincture. Everything got frequent use except for HemHalt (I think I used it once). The midwife I was apprenticing with usually only used the doppler at the 12 week visit, just to confirm a live baby and to reassure the parents. Otherwise we used the fetoscope starting at 19-20 weeks, so I never felt that I needed a doppler. She did use it sometimes during labors, but again, if I was at a labor before her I just used my fetoscope until she got there. I think the art of ascultating by fetoscope is fast disappearing and I personally took every opportunity I could to practice with it. Good luck on your journey!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, BirthIsAwesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page