Looking for a home birth midwife in UT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello~

I'm looking for a home birth midwife in UT who would be willing to give me the low down on what it's like to practice there. I currently live in Ohio and am apprenticing/studying to become a CPM. My husband and I do not want to stay in Ohio where midwives practice in a legal gray area. My husband is from UT and we have been looking into moving back to the Salt Lake area when I have finished my training. I've been reading over the laws for DEMs in UT and they seem very favorable. But, I'm not a lawyer and it's hard to get a clear picture of what it's like to practice there from all of the legal-ease.

So I wanna know, what is it like for you to practice in UT.

Have you chosen to become licensed or have you chosen to be unlicensed?

Are there many restrictions on your practice as far as breech, VBAC, twins, pret-term or past-dates, etc?

What are the hospitals like there if you have to transfer- is it friendly or hostile?

What is the range of what home birth midwives are charging?

I REALLY appreciate any information you can give me!

TIA!

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

I live in Utah. It is a good state for midwifery. The laws are great and lots of babies being born. That said there are a lot of hb midwives in Utah and Midwifery College of Utah brings in many more. I would say only about 30% choose to license. Licensing really cuts into taking certain clients. Such as no twins, breech, VBAC2, moms over 42 weeks, previous still born etc. The perk of licensing is you can carry pit. There are no restrictions on unlicensed midwives except carrying meds. I live in Southern Utah and the hospitals here are fine. We are careful not to bring in train wrecks and are very professional so we are treated well but that isn't the case for all of the midwives. Cost ranges from $1200 to $2500 with most falling into the $2000 range. There are 11 midwives within the one hour drive surrounding me with a population of about 100,000. One is a CNM and one is a LM all the others are traditional and will stay that way. I am in my own practice as well as working with two other midwives. I will sit for the NARM in Feb. I am not sure if I will license or not. I have developed a love of twin births(4 sets in the last 18 months) so I am not sure I want to give that up.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response~ Very helpful!!

Sounds like a hard choice to make~ licensed or unlicensed. I'm sure that over the course of my training I will begin to know which way I would want to go.

It sounds like there are a lot of midwives out there. Are there a lot of women wanting home birth? 

Thanks Again!!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Utah has a high homebirth rate. In some areas as high at 10%. That said many people who choose to birth at home here choose it for money reasons. So different from where I worked before in Colorado. Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

just out of curiosity, are there areas of Utah that are underserved and need more midwives?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Yes there are a few areas that I am aware of and there may be more. Those areas are Kanab, Moab, Monticello and farming areas around Park City. Also Mesquite Nevada and Page Arizona.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post

Yes there are a few areas that I am aware of and there may be more. Those areas are Kanab, Moab, Monticello and farming areas around Park City. Also Mesquite Nevada and Page Arizona.

Hmmmm..... Page, you say? I have a sister who lives in Page......  Darn, now I want to move to UT/AZ :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of the great information!

User Tag List