New here, looking for advice re: midwifery school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I'm Megan and I've been lurking for a long time, and I'm finally ready to start working on my path to becoming a midwife.  I feel drawn to be a CPM, but I don't know if our lifestyle will permit it right now.  We are active duty military, and we've moved 4 times in the last 5 years.  We are currently in California (and will be here for at least 2 more years, maybe 5). 

I feel like it would be hard to establish a homebirth practice while moving around so often, and becoming a CNM would be more conducive for our life, at least at this point.  I was trying to think of a way I could do both and incorporate the two routes.  I know that a few MEAC programs offer bachelors degrees, such as Midwives college of Utah or NCM. 

After obtaining a bachelors degree in midwifery, could I then continue on towards the CNM path, doing an accelerated second career BS Nursing, then a CNM program (thinking Frotnier)? Do you think the Bachelors from the midwifery schools 'count' like other universities would?  Of course, I'll call and ask the nursing schools I'm interested in attending for the accelerated program, but because we move so often I don't really know where we'll be a the time.  Has anyone ever known anyone who has done this?

The other option I'm looking at is doing an online bachelor of science completion program (I have an associate in OB/GYN ultrasound) and then doing a program like NMI at the same time.  I have looked into doing non-MEAC accredited midwifery programs along with the BS completion (this would be significantly cheaper) but the states we will likely be living in have licensure for midwives (CA, VA, FL). 

My heart lies with natural birth with limited interventions, and I desire to take what I would learn through a traditional midwifery program and merge it into my CNM role.  Someday when my husband retires I would love to be able to open a homebirth practice. 

Sorry so long! Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!  Megan

Navy wife, doula, midwifery student and homeschooling mama

DD 5, DS 3, and new squishy DD coming in August!

#2 of 3 Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Luckily, if you do choose the CPM route, CA, VA and FL are all states where you will be able to practice.

You mentioned homebirth and hospital practice, but have you considered the birth center option? If you work at a birth center when you graduate, you would be able to provide women with out of hospital birth, without having to start your own practice.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 3 Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I would love to work in a birth center as a CNM, that would be ideal!

I truly would love to go the CPM path.  We just relocated to this area and there are only a few midwives here so I'm worried I would have trouble securing an apprenticeship, as it seems there are others also interested in apprenticing.

I also would feel so selfish for spending the money on the education, and then not being able to use it by establishing a successful homebirth practice.  I know I would be much more financially secure going CNM.  I know it's not about money, but I need to make back the money I put into it, YKWIM?  That's why I thought if I obtained the bachelors from a place like MCU, it could still be a step towards the CNM if I choose to continue, but I'm not sure if the credits there will transfer to other universities.

Ugh...so conflicted right now!  And I'm hoping to get started one way or another soon.  My husband is going to have a few years off from his deployments and I'd love to be in school while he's around to help with my little ones.

Thanks for your insight!  I guess I'm just working through my feelings.

Navy wife, doula, midwifery student and homeschooling mama

DD 5, DS 3, and new squishy DD coming in August!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page