Flax/Fish/Borage oil in first trimester?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am out of flax, and at the local pharmacy all they had was a blend of fish/flax/borage. Borage sounded familiar and so I specifically asked if this was bad to take while pregnant. The pharmacist went into this big long spiel about how it wasn't and the trio blend was great for you, etc.

I bought the bottle, came home and have been reading on the net. It looks like borage is a uterine stimulant.

It is 2000IU of the three oils. Is it safe to take during the first trimester or should I shelve this until the last trimester?

Thanks in advance.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm not sure all the reasons, but I remember looking into that while pregnant myself, and I opted out. One thing I've been told is that most everyone gets plenty of omega 6, so you are more likely to just need the 3's they are kind of like hormones in that some of one are needed to balence others. I'm no pro, but my thoughts are don't do the 3 in 1 at all, much less pregnant.
Kamiro likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm not sure all the reasons, but I remember looking into that while pregnant myself, and I opted out. One thing I've been told is that most everyone gets plenty of omega 6, so you are more likely to just need the 3's they are kind of like hormones in that some of one are needed to balence others. I'm no pro, but my thoughts are don't do the 3 in 1 at all, much less pregnant.
#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Borage is considered teratogenic and it is not advised for pregnancy, but is great post partum for milk supply. I have that same bottle of pills and I do take one a week, but I wouldnt go crazy with it. I have used it through two pregnancies but very very limited.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page