Am I crazy?! Accepted to Frontier and want to TTC #2. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies-new here!  I was accepted to Frontier and will begin classes in January. DD is 18 months, I work per diem- 6, 12hr shifts/month- I'll probably be doing the program part time, and DH and I are considering trying for #2. Is this insane?

We *no doubt* want 1, maybe 2 more children. We're both 31 feel like we need to get the show on the road. I keep thinking it would be better to have a baby early in the program as opposed to during clinicals. But, I'm afraid I might be putting unnecessary stress on everything and everyone. I'm wondering how I'm going to study properly with a needy toddler, not to mention a newborn! But, you can't put living life on hold, either. . .  I guess I'm just afraid of the unknown. 

So, what do you think? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM

I finish my CNM program in May and I have three kids. My program is 3 years part time. In between the summer and fall semester of my second year, I had my third baby. It was very doable, but it was hard work. I had to leave my baby for clinicals, so I had to pump. Now, with Frontier, you wouldn't be doing clinicals until the very end, you would just have book work. That was really easy for me to do with a newborn. You can do it on the couch in your PJ's. I remember listening to pharmacology lectures while breastfeeding. It was no big deal. I think you can  do it. Just be prepared to be flexible. :) (My husband is also very supportive, so he's been a big help. I would never have been able to handle it all if it hadn't have been for him.) Good luck!

CNM mama.

#3 of 3 Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 AM

I don't think your crazy (or maybe I'm just crazy toosmile.gif).  I am in the homestretch with frontier, doing my clinicals right now.  When i started I had a 19month old and I was 19 weeks pregnant with my second, I also worked full time during the whole program.  I did the program part time as well, which was probably the best choice, I just really want to be done now.  I think Frontiers program is really good one for having small children, doing the classes are very flexable and there is not a whole lot that you have to actually be "there" at a certain time for.

You just need to think ahead at if you are TTC now how old your children will be when you have to go to clinical bound before starting clinicals (about 2 years down the rd if you do part time), because you have to be there for 8 days (but can take nursing babies/children with you if you have somebody else that can come along too). 

There were a lot of people that had small kids or were pregnant and giving birth in the middle of the program.  I had my daughter in the very middle of one term and it was no problem at all, I didn't even take any time off of school when I had her because I was just doing it all from home anyways.

~Mariah
Mommy to DS (8/07), DD ( 8/09) and one (5/01) Frontier Midwifery student

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page