JOBS! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone shed some light on a couple questions I have pertaining to midwife's jobs? First, do MW's employed by a birth center work "shifts", as in 12hr or 24hrs on, and then when you're off, you're OFF? I keep thinking with home birth, how it's just you to answer ALL the calls, and go solely to ALL the births.  I'm trying to figure out which may allow me to strike a balance between work and home life.

Also, I'll begin a midwifery program in January but I'm an RN working per diem (6/12hr shifts per month) in a pediatric ICU- weird, I know. I'd LOVE, of course to work in birth, but I have zero interest in L&D in the hospital. I considered working in postpartum, but I need to stay per diem because that's what allows me the time for school, and without experience they only wanted me as full time.

Since there are no birth centers in my area (St. Louis, but some in the works) my only option to work in birth would be with a home birth midwife. Do midwives pay, or is it usually an unpaid apprenticeship? I just can't see myself in an ICU for the next 3-4 years when my heart is in midwifery.

Thanks all!

#2 of 4 Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM

If you are going the CNM route, you will not be paid to attend clinicals (even with a homebirth midwife).  If you are assisting a midwife, you normally get paid.  I'm sure different birth centers have different call schedules.  Usually 24hr call. I have chosed hospital birth b/c I don't see myself on 24/7 call while my family is still young. IL is desperate for homebirth CNMs (especially in your area).  In the Quad Cities, we don't have any homebirth CNMs (except for one that is taking repeats).

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#3 of 4 Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM

My experience in NY was that my internship experience was my "payment". 

#4 of 4 Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, yes yes, I know I do not get paid for clinicals.

Homebirth midwives usually pay for an assistant, though? Can anyone estimate how much?

The 24/7 call thing at a birth center is probably only 2 or so days per week, right? We don't have mw's in hospitals in my area, or that would be a great choice!

Thanks ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page