Top Book Rec's To Read Before NARM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, ladies!  I have sent my application and all into NARM and hope to be able to test in February.  I was hoping to get some feedback on what books you all might recommend to best prepare for NARM.  I have the list of required and reccommended books and have been reading some of those but I am curious what books seem to hold the most knowledge to better prepare for NARM.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#2 of 3 Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM

I am in the same boat as you taking the test in February so I can't tell you that what I am planning will work but I plan on really rereading and outlining Heart and Hands. I hear over and over again that there are questions word for word from that text. I printed out the CIB and wrote up a outline for every topic during my studies. Example pre-e, cause, symptoms,tests performed, medical options, natural options, how it would affect mom, how it would affect baby, plus notations of where I found the info in each of my texts HM, Varneys, Human Labor and Birth etc. It makes it really easy to study and I can carry a binder with the 100 or so different topics I have written up around with me to prenatals in case something comes up. I also think I am going to purchase this study guide Certified Midwives Exam Secrets only because it has been 10 years since I took a standardized test and I could use all the help I can in that way. I also plan to join an online study group and in the end I am just plain not that worried I guess. There are also some past threads on this. PM if you want.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#3 of 3 Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM

I knew Hearts and Hands inside out and read Varney's twice, once while in school and then again to study for the NARM. I also referenced Oxorn and Foote often to help with physiology and mechanisms of birth. In the months leading up to the exam I highlighted everything I did not know off the top of my head.  I then studied them again in the couple of weeks right before the exam.  I was well prepared.  The only thing I would add is very basic herbal, homeopathic and other alternative remedies.  I think I mostly just read Susan Weed's Herbs for the Childbearing Year.  Good Luck!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page