DEM Southern Utah - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I just moved back to the four corners area (im in Monticello) from GA where i was studying to be a midwife and was doing my apprenticeship. this area has no homebortj midwives i beleive anymore (hence the GA move for training) Anyways im back! i haven't taken the Narm exam yet but i beleive you can practice homebirh and midwifery as an LDEM, CPM or DEM here
im thinking ill just practice as a DEM for now. I'd be covering SN area of pro ably Mexican hat to moab and the canyonlands area.

now im wondering do i need a business license to have my independant practice? What are the steps to setting up in this state as an unregulated and unlicensed traditional midwife? in GA there's no regulation, and my preceptors had a business license for their practice for taxes etc.

thank you! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Yes you need a business license. I would contact the town you are in about that. You will need to set up things with vital records so you can do birth certificates. Other than that nothing is required. If you decide to take the NARM and get your CPM then you can choose to license. I am a midwife in St. George Utah. PM if you would like more details.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#3 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even think about birth certificates. Can't do them in GA. how do i do that? i went online but couldn't find anything about it. also- would a dem be responsible for things like PKU/ heel stick. tests or is that a referral? i know drug wise all we could carry is o2. and what is the average charge for a dem in this state? thank you. smile.gif
#4 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

one more thing lol i keep thinking of stuff. Can DEMs bill some insurances? or should i do like i did before and have them pay up front and submit a reimbursement claim to their insurance? i wont be setting up for births till summer since im pregnant but i could start taking women due then for prenatals. trying to get my ducks in row
#5 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM

DEM can try to bill insurance using a company like Midwifery Billing. And some midwives get reimbursed. Some midwives do the genetic screen but most refer to a doctor or the health department because it is something like $150 for a midwife to submit the test (PKU). Many people use Medicaid or insurance to cover those tests. They can also sign and submit a waiver. Certain midwives in each area are trained in doing the hearing screening so you need to find out who that is or else your clients will be hassled about not getting it done. Average cost for the area I am in is $1600 to $2200 for a home birth. Most charge $2000. Look here for info about birth certificates and call the office to get everything set up. https://vr.health.utah.gov/uintah hope that helps and good luck. I know that area needs midwives. Every once in a while I will get a call from someone who doesn't know the area well and will ask if I will travel. I will up to 2 hours but that area is 5-6 hours away.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page