your clients and insurance coverage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello -

I can imagine that a great hurdle for you many of you (at least your clients) is getting insurance coverage for births.  I am having troubles of my own in this department, and I thought, that perhaps since you all have been there, done that you could help me out.  And also, the information that would accumulate here would help you help your clients. 

I just had a great third baby (third homebirth) last month.  Now I am fighting with my insurance company.  The midwife's very reasonable fee was 3700.  My insurance company is only covering about 1500 or it, because they argue that that is the amount for the code that they would apply to an uncomplicated, vaginal delivery (prenatal, birth, and postpartum care) for a CNM (presumably in a hospital).  However, as you all know, a homebirth midwife wears many hats, and provided a great deal of the services that would have normally been provided by the nursing staff in the hospital. My line is that a homebirth should not be treated as the same procedure as an in-hospital birth.

My question for you - have any of your clients had success with this line of argument?  Can you think of a better argument?  I hope that information here will help midwives get insurance coverage for their clients.  It is crazy that clients have to pay MORE for a service that actually saves the insurance company oddles (especially when the OBGYN was against vaginal birth for my 10 lbs 10oz baby...with my midwife, born after two hours of labor and just a few pushes....grrrr...but that's another rant).

Any help appreciated!

Riva

#2 of 3 Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM

She needs to bill separately for more services.  Extended prenatals, fetal non-stress test, post-partum in home care, extended labor support, post dates prenatal appointments, breastfeeding counseling, baby exam, etc.  There are a ton of things you can bill for outside of the normal delivery (since they are outside of a normal delivery) and each one has its own specific billing and diagnostic code.   There are special codes for home visits (prenatals) which have really high reimbursement rates since most medical people only do them in extraordinary circumstances.  And you can still bill them for this stuff apart from the claim you just made.  There are some really great professional billing companies out there that have this stuff dialed in.  Most midwives that i have heard from end up with a lot more money and happier clients when they use them.

#3 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you...I will ask my midwife about this.  :) I hope this information helps someone else.  I will post the results when I am done with the appeals process.

Regards,

Rebecca

PS: Alaska...cool.  I grew up there.  Best wishes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page