First time pregnancy and midwives - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is my first pregnancy and I'm only about 7 weeks in (just found out!)...I am wanting to go with a midwife, but there is only one in my area (I've met with her yesterday and she seems really awesome, shes a CPM, LM). But I'm having some anxiety today about having the baby at home (a water birth). At the moment (obviously not very far in) everything is normal, but since I've never had a baby before I'm not sure if I should do a midwife, or go with an OB. I have an OB that I have been going to and she is nice, but I just hear a lot of people regret doing the whole hospital/OB route...and I'm not interested in pain meds, being induced, or a c-section (unless the c-section is absolutely necessary). Is this just normal "oh my goodness I'm having a baby" nerves, or is this an actual concern? And is a CPM a good enough qualification to do the birthing with just her in my house? 

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Your first pregnancy is one of the best times to have a midwife (I'll admit I am biased and think they can be great at anytime too) because it is all new. There is so much to learn and while much of that may come from your own drive to learn, having a midwife gives you the opportunity to have someone who is willing to take the time to explain things, provide education, and truly equip you to make decisions, not just tell you what is going to happen to you regardless of your desires. You are at no higher risk for complications that would necessitate a hospital environment simply because it is your first. I have many women seek me out because of bad previous birth experiences. I love working with those women and joining them for their journey as they discover something different. But there is something amazing about joining a woman as she sets forth on the journey for the first time without the need for overcoming a bad previous experience. And to start your mothering journey empowered and educated is a wonderful thing. 

As for the letters after her name, they are just that, letters. They let you know she has a basic competency. No matter what letters follow any providers name, I encourage you to ask around for references (not just ones she gives) and hear others stories/experiences. Feel free to ask the hard questions, a provider who has nothing to hide will answer them the same as they would any other. 

Blessings on your journey! 

olw3k likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Congratulations! I think hiring a homebirth midwife is an excellent choice for most women. It's unfortunate more people don't take advantage of them! I would much rather get a 1st time mom as a client than one who has had to endure a terrible hospital experience before she considers that option. CPM's are the only credentialed midwives specifically trained in the homebirth setting, therefore, IMHO, best suited for the job. Also, IMHO, midwives should strive to work in pairs, whenever possible. 90% of the time everything will go just fine, even if the birth is unattended, but for that other 10%, it sure is nice to have a birth team, not just one midwife! I have been at births when baby came out & needed to be resuscitated, at the same time that mom is bleeding profusely. It was sure nice to have someone trained in neonatal resuscitation (which all CPM's have to be) while someone else stopped the bleeding (which also all CPM's have to know how to do, but it's hard to do both at once.)  And, the midwives should have an apprentice or other helper too, to take notes and hand them things when they get busy. It sounds like your midwife does not have any helpers though, in which case, I would recommend also hiring a doula.

#4 of 5 Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBradbury View Post

As for the letters after her name, they are just that, letters. They let you know she has a basic competency. No matter what letters follow any providers name, I encourage you to ask around for references (not just ones she gives) and hear others stories/experiences. Feel free to ask the hard questions, a provider who has nothing to hide will answer them the same as they would any other. 

Totally stealing this!!!  I agree with your whole post!  I love helping mom's overcome there bad first experience, but I really enjoying educating and supporting moms who find the right path for them the first time!  I am only a doula and childbirth educator, but had I known the option of homebirth was available when I had my oldest 12 years ago, I would have done it!  Good luck and enjoy the learning any growing coming your way!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM

sorry apparently instead of just quoting the previous poster, I totally rewrote her quote, sorry for misquoting you!!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page