Advice on preparing for AMCB certification exam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-28-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I graduated in June from a MS midwifery program and a rough pregnancy. All of my classmates have already taken the exam, and I am itching to do it before the baby comes. BUT I'm feeling terrified of taking it. Worried about how to prepare, and if I'll make it through at 36wks without a bathroom break. I know I wouldn't last 4 hours, but everyone has said they finished in 2hrs. SOoo if I'm lucky I'll make it. Waiting till after baby seems like setting myself up to potentially never take it and pass...

How helpful did you think the green study guide book was? I am also using the purple "Midwifery/Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Certification Review" book. Any words of advice or support would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

#2 of 3 Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Did you have to take a comprehensive exam at the end of your program?  The books you have are good and I found that most of my prep time went to studying for comps.  Once I'd passed those I felt prepared for the AMCB.  However, in my program you could only take comps once you were done with EVERYTHING, I know some programs you take them before integration so it may have been a while.  Whether you choose to take your exam before or after the baby comes just make sure you feel prepared - this is the cumulation of all you have worked for and it's ridiculously expensive, so worth it to go in feeling as prepared as possible!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 PM

IN the SUNY@ Stonybrook program we could not take comps until all studies/theory was completed. If we had a few more births our preceptor's practcie was waiting on that was OKay. I studied everything that i could remember from my comps & all my notes. *I also took the ACMB prep course at the ACNM conference. I am a very auditory learner, so I made tapes of myself repeating/reading off lots of info (I easily had around 15 audio tapes) & I played them while doing house work, running, driving, whenever I had a chance. Beleive my kids got sick of hearing them, too. I cried for an hour in the testing facility  when I noticed that i had passed!

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender, Full scope nurse-midwifery & Homebirthing only, covering a 2 hour radius of Hickory, NC.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page