Looking for alternative midwives in Ontario! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello fellow midwives, 

I would love to connect with other midwives in Ontario who are interested in supporting each other and who practice in an "alternative" (more holistic less medicalized way) I am finding some hard aspects to practice with a big push for full scope, and would love to connect with others who feel the same way! :)

#2 of 8 Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I will be eventually! i still need to get into and through school, going to be applying to birthwise in maine for next fall :D

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 8 Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! :) That's great! Will you come through the Ryerson program to work in Ontario, or the bridging program? (if it's still running) I left Canada to do my schooling as well! :)

#4 of 8 Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I will be too! On mat leave from the MEP right now. I will graduate in Spring 2013. I am very into herbal medicine and nutrition, and low intervention birth.

#5 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM

I will either be coming back to Ontario or going right to BC, my bf wants to move to Vancouver but I havent decided yet, I may come back to ON just to do the bridging. Where did you go to school?

Silversparrow- thats pretty exciting! congrats on the baby and on graduating soon!!

I havent yet learned much about herbal/homeopathic medicine in pregnancy and birth do you guys have some good resources? I will learn about it at birthingway if i get in, but I need some stuff to read that isnt school related (taking feminism and counselling right now)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#6 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Try this book. And check out anything by Anne Frye. Also, have you learned about sterile water injections for pain relief?

#7 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! 

Starrlamia, I did my training in Texas, and then did the PLEA when it was still running. 

I love the WiseWoman book- it is my fave and totally battered from being used so much! :) Love the recipes for anti-hemorrhage, and after pains. :)

I haven't had good luck with the sterile water inj, but have had amazing results with the TENS unit. :)

#8 of 8 Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 PM

I have seen sterile water papules do wonders. Once I had a VBAC client, who was induced by breaking waters because she was 40+3 and oligohydramniotic, and she had been stalled at 6 cm for almost 2 hrs and then went to fully and pushing in 30 min, pushed 4 times and, voila baby!

It's great for back labour especially, and is a great thing to try before resorting to epidural. I can be just the thing to get a woman through that part of transition where she thinks she can't do it.

Something I've been wondering about it is, since it's not actually a medication, would there be any legal reason that would prevent a doula (or any birth coach/ partner/ friend) from being allowed to administer them either at home or hospital? I might be attending a friends birth in a non-clinical role, and was wondering if I would be allowed, if say, I got the syringe and water from the pharmacy ahead of time. What do you think?

I haven't seen the TENS used very much, just once and it was to help a client cope on the way to the hospital for an epidural and she was still in early labour (about 1 cm, ctx 5-7 min). For what situations or indications do you suggest it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page