Birthwise Midwifery School - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for any midwives or student midwives that did there training through Birthwise Midwifery School in Maine, I'm applying there and would love to hear feedback. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not a current student or a practicing graduate, but I have been seriously considering Birthwise as well, and here's what I've learned so far.

I've visited twice in the last three months and have talked to a student currently in her preceptorship who is very happy with her education there, and it looks like a great school--approachable, thorough, well planned out, and it sounds like they are pretty well organized and very supportive of their students/graduates. I like their philosophy a lot, and I really admire the clinical rotations that the on-campus students start their second semesters, which give a variety of perspectives on practice beyond the focused preceptorship that completes your CPM education. Although I'm not going to apply this year for familial reasons, I am planning/hoping to apply in a year or two.

The sense I get is that they really want to prepare you well to consider how you will practice, and to be well prepared to enter your preceptorship and eventually your own practice. I've liked all of the staff/faculty I have met during my two visits, and I get the sense that they really want to help you succeed. I have also spoken with a midwife I trust and admire who hasn't necessarily had first-hand experience with the school, but said that they have a good professional reputation.

Have you gotten a chance to visit, or talk to them at all? If you're at all in the area I think it's well worth it. I'm a pretty serious potential student when it comes to analyzing academic programs, and my experiences at Birthwise so far have made me think it's everything it appears to be and probably more. But do your own research--talk to current students, see if they can recommend someone who has graduated who would speak with you!

ETA: I'm only on MDC sporadically these days--if you have any other questions for me, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your application!

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

Tags
Direct Entry Midwife , Midwifery Programs , Midwifery Students , Midwives

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page