midwives in the bay area (california)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for midwives in the Bay area? We live in Palo Alto, but haven't lived here for that long. I am very interested in having a homebirth (possibly a waterbirth), and I'd like the experience to be as free of interventions and other tests as possible. Any experiences or recommendations would be very welcomed!

32, married to DH, 35--expecting our first sometime around Aug. 20!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Try this:  http://www.bayareamidwives.com/

You're looking for ones that say they serve the Peninsula. 

I haven't worked with any of those in particular, but I have interviewed Tanaya, and I've read a lot of Ronnie's website (she's well known in MW circles). 

As far as interventions, if you have any deal-breakers, ask on the phone.  Everything else can be discussed during the interview, but I haven't really had a problem with the MWs around here being willing to let me direct my own care.

I interviewed 8 or 9 MWs this pg, and I think 8 (different ones) my previous pg.  So don't feel bad about telling them you'll get back to them after interviews are done. 

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Hi I have heard good things about Judi Tinkelenburg. She used to be the midwife at Sage Femme in SF, but I believe she now just does homebirth.

Also my friend had a lovely, no intervention, cnm attended birth at Mills Peninsula a few months ago. Is that super far from Palo Alto??

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM

I can offer a NON recommendation. The name was Jeri and basically she accepted general MediCal and so we went with her. She left me alone at the hospital. Lied to me about some hospital policies (which the nurses on duty actually came to tell me the truth about) and made lots of threats. She also called an emergency c-section on me and thankfully, I pushed my baby out on the way to the section! She immediately after the birth, reached up and yanked up my placenta, causing 3 months of hemmoraging. And neglected to do her follow up appointment but still charged for it.

I had another friend who went with her who was also abandoned by her right at the endand ended up with a section, alone at the hospital. I have no idea if she is still in practice. I hear that she was very good, once. By the time I hired her, she seemed totally burned out. She straight up told me that she was tired and had things to do that day and simply would not be coming in to labor with me. :( Her practice was in San Francisco.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Tags
Choosing A Midwife , Midwives
User Tag List