Looking for the best links and brands to buy midwifery supplies... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just starting to gather my supplies to begin my own practice; hoping some experienced midwives could pass on favorite links and/or brands and/or types of supplies they carry to births...everything from which herbals to which clamps and scissors (esp umbilical, but also curious about *just in case of life-saving emergency* episiotomy scissors) and which brand of BVM is best for the price...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Also, if you happen to have a link to YOUR supplies, I'd love to see what other midwives carry...I have only worked with a single preceptor, and am curious what other people do. I found this one on line, and found it useful...

Oh, I already have this O2 bag (no tank yet; hope to rent once licensed), a Littmann stethoscope, BP cuffs, 6 clamps and 2 tissue forceps...

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#2 of 4 Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

I've researched several sites and like Cascade best.  While they're not cheapest in some things, they are cheapest overall.  I get my plastic cord clamps there as well as my bulb syringes, pee sticks, gauze, scissors, clamps, hats, straws, paper measuring tape, etc etc. I got my doppler (Huntleigh) from there too.  Some midwives I know use In His Hands, Precious Arrow or the Midwifery Mercantile.  

Good luck!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#3 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 PM

I just happened across this thread and I clicked on the link to the list of supplies that the mentioned midwifery service carries. I want to say that is INSANE!! I have worked with and known many different midwifes and in different places and never have I seen that extensive of a kit. Maybe for some nurse midwives in some states, but not your typical homebirth midwife. I saw a list the other day that was a good one and I was using it to help remind me of things, I will have to find it again.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#4 of 4 Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I agree - that link is a CNM practice and they are doing things that I wouldn't be (IV, intubation, etc), but I liked that they showed what they use, and how they organize their supplies :)

Cascade is a good one, but they are really expensive...I'll check those other two - thanks!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwives

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page