Anyone take NARM this week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to see if anyone else took NARM this week.  What were your thoughts?  It is only 3 days past the test and the wait for results is driving me crazy! 

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM

I just turned in my application to sit for the test in August. Any recommendations on what to study? I was going to make flash cards for every bolded word in hearts and hands and look over Frye (as much as possible). 

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM

I did and I passed. Study ideas: I did PEP so earlier in my education I printed out the CIB and did an outline with info from all of my books on every topic on there. I ended up with a huge binderfull of great info that I can turn to when I need to look anything up and it has multiple sources right there plus where to find the info in Varneys, Frye etc. About a month before the test I read Heart and Hands for the 4th time and did an outline of the bolded items or things I thought I needed to review. Then I just read that. The test was very stressful. As I went through it I wrote the numbers that I wasn't 100% on a piece of scratch paper. I ended up with about 50 questions with each unit so 100 in all. Most of those I easily narrowed down to 2 answers. There was only two I had no idea on and completely guessed. There were several mostly having to do with labor/birth that if you missed one you missed the next few because they were all based on the same story. I walked out feeling ok and then with every second that passed I doubted myself more and more until I was sure I didn't pass. I did, well over the 75 required score. The thing is that if I hadn't have passed it wasn't like I would have known how to study or prepare differently. I didn't leave thinking "Oh wow I have big gaping wholes in my knowledge of_________ I need to review that. " I truly sometimes just had a hard time choosing between what seemed to me two decent options. I had 10 years of doula and CBE experience and over 100 births in a midwifery capacity before I took it and I think that helped. Good luck. I am so glad that is it behind me.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I passed NARM as well, first time, with lots of cushion.  I did PEP as well.  The biggest thing I did for myself was attend Vicki Penwell's study retreat.  It was very, very helpful and really helped me fill in the gaps.  I made sure to read through and make study cards out of most of the first line books, mainly tearing apart Heart and Hands.  I reread Heart and Hands a month before taking NARM.  I was told it would be valuable to me to study a lot on STD's and Smoking.  I was so worried about NARM, but found it much easier than I expected.  I left feeling confident, but unsure since they grade on a weighted scale.  If I had failed, I would not have known what to do differently.  Thankful it is over.  Good luck to those preparing for August!

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM

i didn't realize the passing grade was a 75, i though it was an 80 <!!?!??!>

i am preparing now, sitting in Feb. I doing Mercy In Action's study modules, Myles midwifery multiple choice questions that i have (500 of them!) online...plus 12 years of attending births and lots of study years too...

any other advice welcome.

I plan also to reread H & H, and go over my MIA modules and my flashcards that I have made for H&H and my study modules. Possibly do Vicki's study retreat, if i can scrape up the $$.

blessings.

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bliss, Do you have a link for the Myles questions? I do have a copy of the book but I didn't know they had questions online.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

Tags
Direct Entry Midwife , Midwifery Students , Midwives
User Tag List