Home Birth and "High Risk" questions (Seattle Area) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Amazing that I came here to ask this and there was already a similar thread at the top of the stack- but sadly we're high risk for different reasons.

Here's my deal.

I was deamed high risk due to my weight, and no previous births.

I am still a fat momma (260lbs), but all weight-associated concerns were shown to be needless.

I have extremely low blood pressure, and had no complications during my birth.  I was induced at 42 weeks (due to threat of loosing my midwife, and fear of an OB wanting to perform a c-section, don't get me started!) - I had no pain meds, no other intervention than induction.  My daughter was born vaginally and the only "problem" was a slight grey color to her skin- she pinked up as soon as her butt hit the plastic basinet and she screamed like a banshe!

I suffered a tear that needed stitches, and a single, minor hemeroid.

Otherwise, we were A-OK.  No hypertension, no diabetes, nothing.  I was anemic afterward, but needed no transfusions or anything.

This will likely be my only other child, I'd like to do a home birth.  Midwives are covered under my medical, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear the same song and dance about high risk- I have purchased an exercise bike, and I'm eating more healthy, I will be in better shape than I am in now once it is time to give birth (not going to go insane, just take better care of myself).  I think I can do it- but I don't want to go it alone, so the idea that others have posited about just staying home when I go into labor scares me.

What do you guys think?

~GNG

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

#2 of 10 Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We've had larger moms here before and we don't label them high-risk just because of their weight.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 10 Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Huh... My first birth, I was labeled "High Risk" automatically due to my weight.  My Midwife refused to even consider a home birth.  This was a Midwife with a reputation for being a "Med Wife" so maybe that was it?

I was also told it is illegal here in Washington to have a waterbirth in either a center or hospitol.

speakyourtruth likes this.

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

#4 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM

"I was also told it is illegal here in Washington to have a waterbirth in either a center or hospitol."

I can't imagine that's the case. There have got to be birth centers that do waterbirth. What about this one? http://centerforbirth.com/

This place looks great too: http://www.seattlehomematernity.com/birth-center.html

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM

some regulations will risk out moms due to weight as there are higher risks of some things.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#6 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Check out Snohomish Midwives if you are up North at all.  Both midwives are named Melissa and both are great!

#7 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I second the recommendation for the Melissas at Snohomish Midwives.  I'm guessing that if you are out of their service area, they could advise you on someone who would be supportive of your homebirth.  Good luck!

Velvet - Mama to Trevor (6) Lucy (2) and a new little bean December 2014

novaxnocirc.gif  fambedsingle1.gif homeschool.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Message Deleted
#9 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM

I just wanted to chime in - from one fat mamma to another....my last birth (8 / 2010)  was at home and i weighed 297 lbs at the time of delivery.  I weighed 255 when i birthed my first child in 1995 at a freestanding birth center, and a svelte 225 with my first home birth in 1998. 

No one ever said 'high risk' at any point during any of my pregnancies - i was in the water for the first and third births...like you, i had low blood pressure, no diabetes and was in overall good health - oh, i was 40 years old in 2010!

Call around and find yourself a midwife!!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#10 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM

I don't have any input on your question, but the midwife I used for my 2nd birth now lives in the Seattle area and I'd highly recommend her.  Tracy Palagi is her name...she's with a midwife group but I don't know the name of it.  Good luck!

Tags
Midwives

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page