Is a good midwife worth traveling for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where I reside, we've had complete political uproar over midwifery care, and midwives working in my area were essentially suspended (jurisdiction dictates they work within our medical system, and therefore have to answer to hospitals not work independently). Here, we aren't progressive in advocating for midwifery care, and it looks like it's really not going to take off again any time soon.

So my question is... is midwifery care vs. obstetrical care worth the travel? 

I'd love to hear of others experiences. 

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Absolutely, yes. When I was pregnant with my third, I used a birth center that was an hour from our house to avoid having to go to the hospital. The midwife gives better prenatal care, much better birth care and the postpartum care is definitely more comprehensive.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM

In my opinion, it is totally worth traveling to get the care you want for you and your baby. The -only- midwife who serves my area, that is not connected to a hospital, and who attends homebirths is 4 hours away (with stops), and I have to cross state lines. I'm about to be in my 3rd trimester, and I spend a FULL day traveling to make my appointments (with DH and my 4yo DD).

I had DD at the hospital in my town. There are two nurse midwives attached to this hospital, but they rotate, AND they are just as medicalized as the OBs. The hospital in my town even has birthing tubs, but they will not let you birth in them. Certain docs will let you use them for early labor, but you can't guarantee that you'll get one of those docs when you go into labor. With DD I received oxygen, pitocin, an epidural, vacuum extractor, a partial episiotomy, nurses screaming at me that "your baby is pushing harder than you are! What are you doing?!," and an anesthesiologist that leered and grinned through curtains at my partially naked body while I was forced to push on my back with my legs up in the air.

When I became pregnant with this baby, I searched for a solid week to find anyone who do a homebirth in my area. I emailed, called, and followed leads that finally led me to the one midwife who will travel here for my birth. Luckily, when I spoke with her over the phone I had an instant connection as well. She's great. I am SO glad, and SO relieved that I don't have to be resigned to a birth anywhere NEAR approximating the one I had with DD. The 8 hour round trips on my appointment days are sometimes hard, especially as I progress further along in my pregnancy, but 100% worth it to me.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Absofreakingloutly. 

Had I delivered anywhere in any of the hospitals near me, I would have been a c-section for "Failure to progress". My hospital midwives though were wonderful and didn't fly that way. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM

yes, yes, yes.  My midwife is coming to me from 3 hrs away.  Yes yes yes.

We only mandate change with our actions.

Tags
Choosing A Midwife , Midwifery Programs , Midwives

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page