Question about working as a midwife's assistant vs doula- fees and contract help needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in another group so I have c&p it here...Thank you for any insight!

I could use some info or thoughts, just brainstorming.

Does anyone here work as a midwife's assistant? Not as a student of that midwife? Or have you hired a midwife's assistant for just one birth?

I have a client that started as a doula client who was unsure if she was going to end up at home but at the time really expected to be going into the hospital. She is near due, we met and planned to meet again to sign a contract. Well, her plans changed several times over the last week, and now she is bringing in a midwife from out of state to attend her at home and has called to tell me she wants me to come and this midwife said she would like me to be there for an extra set of hands. We will be all meeting probably wen morning to chat.

I dont know what I should charge as I know my role will play out to be more than doula or if I should write up a contract as a doula? or try to work with the midwife as an assistant? and I will likely help with postpartum care as well. I have just never done it quite like this, LOL.

Lisa

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you had training as a monitrice or midwife's assistant? Are you planning to do clinical things outside the doula scope?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM

I think write up as a doula if you are doing doula care and then it is up to make sure everyone knows what that means, in your contract. If you are going to be doing clinical stuff like checking dilation (assume you are qualified) then you up your fee and everything is specified in the contract, of course. I'm assuming you haven't actually spoken with the midwife and the potential client is the one who said "an extra set of hands". I think you need to have that clarifying conversation with both of the other parties.

#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I had spoken with the parents but no the midwife at the time I posted. The mother was unsure as to what everyones role was going to be and what the midwife was going to want as well. I am a student midwife at this time, finishing the PEP process this year. I could fall into either role. I just wanted to be prepared for a few senerios when I walked in to the meeting. I decided to prepare a doula contract ahead of time and if something else was needed I would go back to that.

Met with the family, the midwife and her assisting midwife who lives 45 minutes away. I am going to be doula for mom but may lend a hand if needed to the midwife as well, which I dont anticipate (such as if the birth is really fast and 2nd midwife doesnt arrive). I will do some follow up care for the mom as I am local and her midwife will be flying home after the birth.

thank you to those who replied.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#5 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Glad you got it sorted out, sounds like it could have been stressful!

Tags
Paying Your Midwife , Midwifery Students , Midwives

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page