aspiring midwife new to Calgary - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I am new to Calgary (just moved from Houston, TX) and am looking to plug into a natural birth community.  Birth is my passion.  I had planned on beginning my studies and apprenticeship in a few years.  My baby just turned one and I am waiting until she is old enough that I will feel comfortable being on call.  Right now I am focusing on trying to educate women on their options.  The US isn't nearly as natural birth friendly as I am finding Canada to be.  I was helping a friend get an alternative birth support organization started in Houston and then ended up moving.  I'd love to find other "birth junkies" in the area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Im not in Calgary but welcome to Canada!

To become a midwife in Canada is quite a bit different then in the USA. You either have to go to an approved university or do a bridging program for internationally trained midwives. There is a university in Calgary, Mount Royal, that has a midwifery program, it is very competitive to get in (like all of our schools). To do a US school, you will need to ensure that it is accredited (MEAC is your best bet) and lasts at least 2 years. You wont be able to apprentice in Alberta, you would have to go out of country for clinical experience.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM

I just have to add, being a Canadian trained midwife, and midwifery instructor in Canada, that you will get plenty of clinical experience throughout your education here.  Each province/territory in Canada has different regulation for midwifery but all of the training programs (anywhere from 3 to 7 yrs) include a practical, apprenticeship style component.  What is different here is that you can't just approach a midwife to apprenticeship with, you generally have to go through the schooling process.  All Canadian midwifery programs are direct-entry so you don't need previous experience or training in nursing, but they are all pretty competitive, but well recognized around the world.  Good luck, it is all worth it!

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwives

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page