Friendliest Midwife States..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im new to the forum, so sorry if it has been asked before..I did a bit of browsing and saw some stuf, but not a lot!

I am not a midwife, but am currently a post BA ADN nursing student.   Hubby and I(and 4 kids) live in Louisiana and I would like to eventually become a CNM.  I graduate May 2013 and I am hoping I will get a job in L&D straight out of school.   I would like to work at least 2 years and then hubby and I have discussed leaving the state of Louisiana to relocate in an area that is more CNM friendly....There is a serious lack of CNM's here, and as far as I know, there are none in North Louisiana, so I would not have a preceptor for clinicals.

So long, story short, we are discussing areas we would like to relocate to; and in order to do that, need a list of areas where CNM's are being recognized and utilized..

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Katie

#2 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 PM

Oregon has very liberal laws for midwives although my understanding is that it is changing (and an argument can be made that the current laws are too liberal). However most of the MW around here are not CNM's.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM

I know it's not really pertinent to the actual question here, but I'm also a new ADN-RN with plans to eventually pursue a CNM.  I doubt I'll be the only person to say this, but I do highly recommend getting at least 1 year under your belt in general med/surg before making the jump to L&D. EVERY L&D nurse I spoke with either said they were glad they had, or that they wish they had.  I'm coming up on my 1-year mark now and am in touch with the manager on my hospital's Mother/Baby unit (post-partum) about a transfer.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

dogmom-thanks for your reply.  I've heard that Oregon is super friendly to midwives, but I've also heard that the RN job market in Oregon isn't that great(but may be picking up?)...Im not sure how that would relate to advanced practice RN's though.

nemrac-I've heard that that is recommended, but also have heard many say that if you know you want to specialize then you should go straight to your specialty rather than working in an area you really aren't truly interested in.  I don't have anything against med-surg, but my passion is mothers and babies and I intend to stay in that field my entire career.

#5 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

The main reason it's usually recommended is you can really fine tune your skills for the medical issues you'll face while in L&D, where you won't get the volume of experience to necessarily feel comfortable with them.  Having this under my belt, I know I will feel more comfortable working with mothers who have co-issues such as diabetes, CHF, COPD, and many other medical issues on top of their pregnancies.  Just something to keep in mind. :D

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

#6 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM

We're very CNM friendly here in NM. There are more practicing MW's than OB's in our state. In my city, most hospital births are attended by CNM's.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Drummer's wife.    Do you know what the average pay for a CNM is in NM?

#8 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Texas is very midwife friendly.  I am a CPM, so I don't follow all the laws and such for CNMs.  I do know that there are quite a few of both in the Metro areas and that we are working hard to grow midwifery here.

#9 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM

I currently practice in Iowa (independent practitioner required to follow ACNM standards with no collaborative requirement), South Dakota (independent practitioner with some legislated standards and collaborative requirement waived if attending home birth), and Minnesota (independent practitioner with some legislated standards and no collaborative requirement). I am also on the border of Nebraska which requires collaboration, mandates standards, and legally forbids CNMs from attending home births. I don't go there. :) 

Tags
Midwives

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page