Midwife-to-Be versus AAMI -- Thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking into these two program to begin my studies and am curious what others think of either. Do you have experience in one versus the other? For experienced midwives, does one have a better reputation than the other? I'm planning on also taking a clinical-based course with a local midwife, but wanted some "schooling" to go along with it. Thanks for your input.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM

i'm curious as to what others have to say about the programs as i am not familiar with either, but you could do a search on mothering for AAMI as i know it has been discussed a fair bit.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm am currently studying with AAMI and I couldn't be more pleased. I am fully a trust birth midwife, and this school meets that philosophy more than I could haev ever imagined. However, if you are looking to be a MEDwife, a little nurse with all your hospital technology brought to the home so you can test, monitor, poke and prod, I don't think it would be a good fit.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM

that was uneccessarily derogatory.

I have heard Midwife 2 be is not as thorough as a lot of people like, but if you pair it with a preceptor who is willing to fill in the gaps of the program then it works well. AAMI is hit or miss, most stuff you will find here is very positive, however other people feel like the owner of the program pushes her agenda a bit to much.

For distance programs I have heard good things about via vita http://www.viavitamidwiferyschool.org/

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakyourtruth View Post

I'm am currently studying with AAMI and I couldn't be more pleased. I am fully a trust birth midwife, and this school meets that philosophy more than I could haev ever imagined. However, if you are looking to be a MEDwife, a little nurse with all your hospital technology brought to the home so you can test, monitor, poke and prod, I don't think it would be a good fit.

Nice.  Don't think that when- and that's not if, that's when- you need to transfer to a hospital from home, that your attitude is not going to come off of you in waves and negatively effect your client's experience.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 PM

I have not had any problems with hospital transfers in my career, thanks though. Hospitals have their place, and if you like to do hospital type stuff, be a doctor or a nurse.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Wow, I don't think this discussion has anything to do with the thread, and it feels pretty hostile. Bummer, because I was truly curious about the question.

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Didn't mean to start controversy, but in my research I'm finding that AAMI is directed more along the "trust birth" route. Which I know isn't for everyone. Thank again.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 AM

I am also an AAMI student. I love it, it suits my traditional midwifery style. It is very strong academically. I have a Master in Teaching degree and the coursework for AAMI is equally challenging. I have not heard the same about Midwife to Be.
That said, the emphasis at AAMI is that pregnancy and birth are biological life events, not medical problems. Use of harmful technology like Dopplers and ultrasounds are discouraged. Mother's rights are emphasized.
I feel empowered as an AAMI student. If you have a strong sense of birth belonging to families and mothers then AAMI may be a good fit for you.:-)
Have you joined the FB group?

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM

starrlamia, thx so much for mentioning via vita. i've been attempting to find the perfect fit for several years (midwife-to-be, as you said, didn't seem thorough enough, and AAMI is just a bit too radical) i think i have found my program! :D

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM

I just enrolled in Via Vita and super excited! Just wanted to say hi and see if you have started?
Natalie

Tags
Direct Entry Midwife , Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs
User Tag List