Bastyr University? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking into applying to Bastyr U's Midwifery program in 2 years.  I'm specifically looking at there MS Midwifery program because I already hold a BS Biological Sciences. Also it is distance ed (I live in Alaska). 

Anyone out there current students or grads? How in the world do you pay for schooling? Anything besides loans? It looks like it would cost upwards of 60K to complete. I know money shouldn't stand in the way of getting your dream job, but it would be nice to not accumulate too much debt to get there! 

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone with Bastyr info to share?

#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM

anyone have anymore input? im also looking into applying.

#4 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM

I have been looking at that program but I decided on a different one (Midwives College of Utah) for 2 primary of reasons.

1) It is only sort-of a distance program. You have to go to the campus for 10 days, 3 times every quarter. So that works out to be a little bit less frequently than once a month, and I wouldn't be able to afford to travel from Montana that frequently and it wouldn't work with any sort of typical work schedule. 

2) It is significantly more expensive than any other program. I also have a prior BS (Microbiology) and I think getting a Masters through the Utah program will cost me about half of what Bastyr would, and I might just go for the BS of Midwifery for about 20,000. However, Bastyr is the only program that does offer federal student aid and with scholarships, grants, etc ya might be able to knock a bit off the bill. Or at least be able to postpone paying. Midwives College of Utah does take payments while you're in school, but I'm guessing that would range anywhere from $300-500/month and I don't know how exactly I'm going to swing that. But ultimately it will be much more affordable than Bastyr. 

#5 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Hi I Graduated from Bastyr this past year with Naturopathic Medicine and Midwifery, and I've been working as a midwife in this area.  The MS in Midwifery is a little different than the program that I did.  There is no distance learning option, the school helps you find a preceptor locally to  train with while you attend classes.  I know that there are some pre-recs, which you could get on the Bastyr Website.  It is a pretty good comprehensive program that gives you everything you need to get a liscence here in WA which has the highest requirement of any state.  So it is easy to work in other states after being trained here.  I know a MW/ND up in Alaska that I went to school with.  Not sure if she is close to you or not as AK is a big state.  The midwife that I work with has trained many many midwifes, both from Bastyr, and those that have done distance learning schools so I know that there are alot of options out there. 

Good Luck with your quest!

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page