Mercy in Action Has Anyone Done This Program???? Also AAMI questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all.  I am very much wanting to begin my studies to be a midwife.  I am currently a homeschooling mom to 4 so it is going to be a bit before I can take on apprenticeship and such.  I am looking for a program to begin my book studies that has some guidance and structure to it but that does not require me to be doing an apprenticeship at the same time and allows me to do it in my time frame.  Mercy in Action so far is top on my list because it is self paced, you pay as you go and it has a huge connection to work in other countries which is my biggest interest.  I would love to go through the study program then perhaps spend some time in the Philippines as an intern with them and then apprentice here and get the NARM requirements.  I just am not seeing a whole lot of info out there about people having done this program so I am hesitant.  The other program I am looking at is AAMI.  I like that they are "trust birth" as that is where I come from however I am concerned about the cost and the fact I can't really see what books and exactly what I would be studying just- a basic overview.  I'm also concerned about all the negative things I hear floating around about organizational requirements, high pressure tactics etc...Can anyone offer their advice? Thanks so very much!smile.gif

#2 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Hi. I'm bumping up your post for attention. smile.gif Anyone have advice to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM

I am an AAMI student in my second year. I am not sure what the high pressure tactics are???? If you would like to message me that would be fine. I am really curious. I haven't felt pressured at all. I have met all of my deadlines so far. I feel incredibly supported and I love that I can count Gloria LeMay, Laura Stanley, Gaily Hart, etc. among my instructors.

Please, friend AAMI on FB and ask questions. Carla is very kind and approachable and will connect you with students to ask questions. :-)

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#4 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Lyn.  I'll send you a PM!

#5 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 AM

I've been wondering about MiA too. Have you found anything new?

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#6 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Arelyn,

Not really.  I'll send you a PM...

#7 of 10 Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM

HI! i am on module 13 of the 18 MIA module, it is a great study program. I decided to take it after 8 years of self study, conferences and workshops as well as attending births in many different settings for 12 years, because I wanted a definitive study guide for the NARM. It has proven to be very helpful, I have been able to review, as well as fill in the gaps for some subjects that I had little exposure to. I am taking the NARM in Feb.

I also really appreciate the fact that the money I paid for the program is going to help women in need have healthy, gentle births and I really respect what Vicki Penwell and Mercy In Action is doing there in the Philippines and beyond.

I recommend MIA, esp for someone who wants to work at their own pace, for someone who has good self motivation and for someone who wants the straight facts of midwifery, it is a thorough program, and MIA also gives you 2 extra modules at the end about working in developing countries which I am excited for since I am passionate about that.

If you want something holistic and traditional check out http://www.mammaprimitiva.com/

blessings.

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

#8 of 10 Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much BirthBliss!!  It is wonderful to finally find someone who has/is doing it.  It sounds great.  I too am super excited about those extra modules they offer.  That is my main interest and goal of becoming a midwife!  Thanks again.  I appreciate it so much.

#9 of 10 Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM

That's awesome, me too!!

Here is a website I found that looks like it has some GREAT opportunities for midwives in developing countries:

http://www.ngoabroad.com/Articles/internationalwork.html

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

#10 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Great resources, thanks for sharing!

http://MotheringByNatureCenter.comsaynovax.gifnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpggoorganic.jpgwinner.jpg

Tags
Midwifery Programs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page