Mothering Forum banner

How to become a Midwife in NC.

836 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MomtoDVPB 
#1 ·
Hello,

I want to become a midwife, and currently live in NC. I would be willing to move to another surrounding state however, if need be. I do NOT want to go to nursing school. I am not interested in being a nurse. The only thing that interest me is the childbirth process. I would like to either become just a CM or a DEM. I hope to obtain one of these certifications, and then learn everything I need to know by working under another midwife. What steps do I need to take to get these certifications. Is there certain classes I need to take or do I just study for the exam and take it. How long is the process going to take? I would like to get this started ASAP so I can begin this exciting career. Can I start working under another midwife (If there is anyone out there near Eastern NC willing to let me learn from you please let me know) before I have certifications. Any help/advice you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
From my understanding, CPMs are illegal there so you would have to find an underground midwife there. NC isn't very midwife friendly as of right now as they started limited their Nurse-midwives even. If you are willing to work underground, you'd have to do some searching to find a midwife and then seek an apprenticeship. Now, TN and SC are little bit more midwife friendly.

http://mana.org/statechart.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.