CPM vs CNM. Any advise on where to start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to this site. I live in Southern California and I am looking into becoming a CPM or CNM.

How did you make the choice? I would first have to become a RN in order to be CNM and then go through the CNM program which seems like a lot.

For CPM, I was looking at National Midwifery Institute and National College of Midwifery.

Any preferences?

Also, How old were your kids when you started the program? I was thinking of waiting until my second is 1 which wont be until 2014. Is that too early? I was going to start reading now and maybe taking online classes for prereq. for the National College of Midwifery if i choose that path.

Any advice or information is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There are some good threads on these boards regarding the CNM-CPM question. And about specific midwifery programs, too.

Here's are some about NCM:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1187412/what-are-the-courses-like-ncm

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1290329/national-college-of-midwifery-help

How did I make the choice? Trial and error. And trial and error. And trial and trial and trial. I've been going back and forth on this CPM-CNM question for well over a decade.

I have experience working and apprenticing with CPMs. I was a student with NCM. Prior to that I was firmly in the CNM camp... but then I changed my mind. But now after doula work and midwife work and being on call 24/7/365, I'm back on the CNM path.

I wouldn't trade what I learned from my OOH birth experiences. And I hope someday in the future to be able to work in a midwifery practice in an OOH setting. But right now I'm committed to nurse-midwifery. If CNM programs had more access to OOH practices for students' clinical experiences (nearly an impossibility!) I think this route would be much better.

Where to start? Learn what you can, when you can.

Go to birth conferences and midwifery conferences.

Medical assistant training, CNA training, EMT training.

Doula training.

Lactation counseling training.

CPR, NRP training.

All those things form a good foundation - and will help in any midwifery program you pursue. Also, having some of these certifications/skills are a good way to get your foot in the door with a HB midwife.

#3 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had given thought to this same question for a couple of years, but just recently began actually pursuing.  I am currently working on classes to become an RN to go for CNM.  My thought process is very similiar to the poster above as well and I'm also working on doula training and I plan on doing the EMT course.  I'm also hoping to shadow some of the HB midwives in my area at some point.

I chose CNM because my big end goal is to open a birth center.  My area currently does not have one and I think it would be a very welcomed addition.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Tags
Direct Entry Midwife , Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page