Monitrice or midwife? What is the next logical step? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This may not be the best place for this but I don't know where else to ask opinions. I'm a newish labor doula. I love it, especially since I feel its prepping me for my future as a midwife. I've been aiming for Midwifery for the past 10 years and something always comes up to delay the process (Finances, babies, illnesses). At this moment in my life, I feel that I'm on a precipice and need to make some decisons immediately. I have the option of attending a Midwifery distance program (no apprenticeship or skills just academics....very good NARM prep) at a fairly significant price cut, or attending a Monitrice training for about the same *initial* cost of the Midwifery program I'm not sure which path is the most logical next step for me. What would you do?!
TIA.

Crossposted in Doulas....

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#2 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What program are you looking into? Do you have a midwife who's willing to take you on as an apprentice?

Have you lookedinto the NARM process?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post

This may not be the best place for this but I don't know where else to ask opinions. I'm a newish labor doula. I love it, especially since I feel its prepping me for my future as a midwife. I've been aiming for Midwifery for the past 10 years and something always comes up to delay the process (Finances, babies, illnesses). At this moment in my life, I feel that I'm on a precipice and need to make some decisons immediately. I have the option of attending a Midwifery distance program (no apprenticeship or skills just academics....very good NARM prep) at a fairly significant price cut, or attending a Monitrice training for about the same *initial* cost of the Midwifery program I'm not sure which path is the most logical next step for me. What would you do?!
TIA.

Crossposted in Doulas....

I could have written this post as I'm considering the exact same thing. My guess is that we may be looking into the same programs :)  

I'm really just following to see what advice you get, but I've actually written my midwife just today to ask her opinion on the two programs that I'm looking at (H&H versus BAI Monitrice). I will let you know what she says.

For the record, right now I'm looking into just assisting at births and then may continue on to a full CPM certification once my children are a little older. My current midwife has invited me to assist her at some birth (she already has one woman that comes to a lot of them), and I hoping to make more connections. This midwife isn't taking on apprentices right now due to some personal stuff.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#4 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 01:58 PM

From my perspective it depends upon which programs and, most importantly, which role you want to fill right now. Do you want to take vitals and do charting at births? Do you want to devote several hours a week to studying? Do you want to live an on-call lifestyle? What pulls at you the most and fits you and your family's needs right now?

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#5 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsahm View Post

From my perspective it depends upon which programs and, most importantly, which role you want to fill right now. Do you want to take vitals and do charting at births? Do you want to devote several hours a week to studying? Do you want to live an on-call lifestyle? What pulls at you the most and fits you and your family's needs right now?

Good points! Just curious from someone who has experienced both - are you finding your work as a doula or as an apprentice midwife more stressful (trying to think of the right word) in juggling family obligations? I know that my midwife has said that, as far as attending births, she feels that doulas have a tougher job due to the time at the actual births. Of course this doesn't take into account prenatals, postpartum visits, etc. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you started your midwifery training and how old were your children? Just curious -- I saw in your signature that you have 6 kiddos & a grandkid (not that I'm insinuating that you're old as I have friends who are grandparents... I just got a late start at parenthood). DH & I tend to overthink situations, which is happening with my desire to pursue midwifery, and are trying to decide if it's realistic for our family.

Rin - sorry for hijacking your post. You just happen to touch upon something that I'm also struggling & trying to make decisions about. And so I thank you for post it first orngbiggrin.gif.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#6 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM

I am a blended family mom. My oldest is 16, born when I was 27. My husband had children earlier, thus the grandchild. smile.gif I am a second year midwifery student and new to doula work. No apprenticeship yet. My youngest is not quite 2.5 and I want to be available to her ft until she turns three. Before my divorce I had a plan to start midwifery school after my then-youngest turned three.

Those are the questions I asked myself. An on-call lifestyle with young children places a huge burden on the rest of the family. I am taking it slow so that I don't burn out my husband. smile.gif I like the idea of assisting because it provides an opportunity to observe different styles of midwifery. Also, an assistant can turn down a job and take time off. It is much more cha

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#7 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious from someone who has experienced both - are you finding your work as a doula or as an apprentice midwife more stressful (trying to think of the right word) in juggling family obligations?

For me, the actual work of midwifery is a lot less stressful when I'm working than the doula work was, but it definitely places more of a demand on family time.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

I appreciate your feedback.

With the Midwifery program, its a distance learning course. I wouldn't be getting any hands on experience unless I paid to attend a skills workshop that I would have to leave my family for. It's *just* the academics.

The monitrice program is being given locally by a Midwife and may give me a leg up on getting a Preceptor to take me as an apprentice because I will have *some*  hands on skills (BP, Charting, etc) under my belt already. I haven't found a Midwife who is able to take on an apprentice yet. 

I think I answered my own question...with your thought provoking insights!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#9 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM

you also want to make sure that monotrice services are needed in your area. Good luck on your journey!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page