Apprenticing under a non certified midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I live in a very under served area for any out of hospital birth services. There is one sort of birth center with a midwife who's very experienced but is not certified in any way, I'm having my baby with her this Jan. This state doesn't yet offer licensing. I've been wanting to become a midwife for a long time now, just waiting until my children are old enough to be without me and we have backup care for them in place so I could be on call as an assistant first. After this newest child weans (2.5 years from now) I think I'll be ready to start. I'd like to have a plan in place, and if attending a school then a budget saved. There is a school not too far away where I could study, they do 9 weekend sessions a year for a full training course. But there are simply no midwives with the credentials I'd need to certify through PEP after working with them within a reasonable on call distance. Would I be foolish to go ahead and work with the one here anyway knowing it wouldn't count to certify? How many midwives simply go without certification for several years, only getting the study and training equivalent to a CPM? Apart from moving away, can anyone think of other options for me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Birth experience is never pointless. I would train with her to become a skilled midwife then travel and attend the birth necessary to sit for the NARM exam if that is important to you. Most homebirth midwives in the US are not CPM;s.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Tags
Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page