Association of Texas Midwifery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in the DFW area and am really interested in attending ATM. I have a few questions for those who have are attending or who have been through program.

1. It's all online and then you go and take 2-3 days to do modules (my understanding) do you do these modules in Killeen or do you go to different cities after each module?

2. Did you find a preceptor right away?

3. When do you get to the point where you have to cut back on working? I only plan to work prn during the program but am currently full time so it would be a good idea to know how long I had before I had to go to prn. 

4. And any little advice or tid bits that you wish you would of known when you started!!!!

I am sorry for all of the questions but it seems to hard to find information about the program online.

Thanks so much for your answers!!!  smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM

you could try asking on the facebook group if you dont get any answers here, it's a group that has students from all sorts of schools and all over the USA

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/253513398050741/

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Hi,

I am a midwife in the DFW area.  I graduated from ATM in 2008.  They have revamped the program since graduation, but when I was a student we went all over to do the workshops.  At the time, I was living in South Texas.  I went to Tyler for 3 workshops, but that was back when the office was there instead of Killeen.  I came to Grand Prairie for one and San Antonio for two.  I did find a preceptor right away. There was only one midwife in my area and she was open to a junior apprentice at the time.  There are over 50 midwives in the DFW area though, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.  Whether you work or not or how much you work would depend on how busy your preceptor is.  I am newish to the DFW area as I have only been here a year and a half.  You would be able to work full time if you were my apprentice.  One of the birth centers in Fort Worth does 11 births a month.  If you were her apprentice, you would probably not have time to work, but you would also graduate much faster. 

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the information! Rockportmidwife you are amazing. It is so nice to actually hear from someone who has been through the program. I can't wait to get started this june!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions or would like to meet up.  We also have a group called North Texas Midwives that meets once a month.  Students are welcome to attend.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds great. I will definitely let you know if I have anymore questions!

Tags
Direct Entry Midwife , Midwifery Students , Midwifery Programs , Midwives
User Tag List