Mothering Forum banner
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Susan Jenkins 
#1 ·
I am considering moving with my husband to Connecticut and a registered midwife from Canada. I am just wondering how certified professional midwives practice/function?

Do they carry liability insurance?

How much do they charge?

What costs do they need to cover?

Do they work in teams? or as solo practitioners?

Any information would be great appreciated.

Meagan

#2 ·
Hi Meagan,

Unfortunately, CPMs are not licensed in Connecticut and cannot practice legally. Two CPMs were charged with unauthorized practice there and found liable within the past two years, and there have been earlier prosecutions as well.

There is some movement to try to begin licensing CPMs, but the existing board includes several CNMs who are fairly hostile. If you want to get in touch with me directly, I can put you in touch with some CPMs who are practicing there and who are also working on licensing issues.

I am legal counsel for the Big Push for Midwives Campaign, a national organization whose mission is to support state groups that are working to obtain licensure and regulation in all 50 states and DC. You can email me at susan@pushformidwives.org or respond to me here.

Best of luck,

Susan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.