birth kits - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you set up a birth kit to be ordered by your clients?  Who do you use? (i know that you can use cascade, in his hands or birth with love) What do you put in it?  How much-ish is it for your clients?

#2 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM

You can also use www.radiantbelly.com

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM

http://www.preciousarrows.com/Geneabirth_Midwifery_Services_Birth_Kit_p/80103.htm

I use Precious Arrows! 

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#4 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM

I use Precious Arrows as well.  My kit is around $50 and is included in my fee.  I order it.

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#5 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM

I use Precious Arrows also. Clients order the kit at ~35 weeks. She gives free, fast shipping on birth kits. My kit is $45-$77 depending on whether clients order basic kit or water birth kit.
#6 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM

I don't have my families order a birth kit. Not everything I would want in a kit is always needed. Thus, the parents have the extra expense and then what do they do with the left over supplies?

I buy disposable supplies in bulk and bring what I need for the birth. I provide each family with bin of clean linens needed for the birth and take them back for laundering when we pack up after the birth. This is far less expensive for all involved.

Linda, midwife

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#7 of 13 Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 AM

And as if to illustrate my point about birth kits, as we are discussing this, there is a thread in the home birth forum about birth kits. Some of the posters are saying how frustrating it is to have items they thought would be needed for the birth and they were never used.

Linda

Midwife

#8 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM

That's the main reason I purchase them and just keep what's needed in my birth bag.  :)  

phathui5 likes this.

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#9 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post

I provide each family with bin of clean linens needed for the birth and take them back for laundering when we pack up after the birth.

Do any other midwives do this? Such an interesting idea! Do you just provide towels, or do you provide sheets, etc? I know sometimes towels can be a struggle for families, since we tend to need quite a few and often they only have enough for their family.

sleepytime.gif, birth-working wife to  guitar.gif (06/2010). Student midwife working towards creating a birth sanctuary. luxlove.gif

TTC #1 since 2010. brokenheart.gif, July 2012. Waiting for our rainbow1284.gif sometime very soon.

#10 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM

Yes, there have been families where the towels and linens I provide seem like a luxury.

The linen box contains:

3 large fluffy towels

3 wash cloths

a hand towel for me as I'm always looking for one after checking heart tones, etc.

a twin size vinyl/flannel pad to put on the floor in front of the tub.

3 cotton quilted waterproof pads, we try to keep one aside for the mom to use on her bed the first night or two

2-3 receiving blankets and one polar fleece baby blanket

a basin for my gloves, and instruments, including the bulb syringe

I also carry an extra box with disposable underpads (chux), reusable underpads (as above), my tinctures, Rescue Remedy and Motrin packs, and a bottle of H2O2.

No sheets or extra blankets

The box that came in with the clean linen, then becomes the box with dirty linen when we leave. I also put the sub pump in there and my sharps and dirty instruments. The family, at most, will have a few wet towels from mom's shower after the birth and we put them in the wash before we leave.

#11 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM

I like this idea, mother cat. A MW in my town I've worked with years ago also does this...

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

#12 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM

I have a kit with Precious Arrows and I am also a big fan of In His Hands. You can't go wrong with either place. You're welcome to look at my kit at precious arrows, it's under Triangle Birth Services.

Clients are free to remove items from the kit if they already have them at home.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#13 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have been using yourwaterbirth.com, but am planning on switching because their chux pads are just not good. I love their customer service and everything else, but the chux pads are probably the least absorbant chux pads ever created. 

I am fascinated by the idea of providing a box of linens to each family to use. This is something that I had considered at different times because I would love to use the big cloth chux pads instead of so many disposables.... it is something I will continue to think on.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Tags
Midwives

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page