Trying to decide midwifery or RN?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this site and in dire need of some advise from anyone who is into their training and apprentice, I have 3 kids and my husband is a head football coach soooo I am a "little" busy!! My son plays college football at The University of Texas so in the Fall I am crazy busy in the weekends! I am very nervous the load will be too much! I would start this summer with my studies!! HELP
#2 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM

If RN is an option for you, why not start with that and then go for a CNM?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize you could be a CPM without being an RN.  So I need to decide if I want to start my 2 year RN if i get in next month, or go straight for my CPM which is what I wanted to do originally!!

I am trying to get info on the programs too, they all seem to be read read read a ton of books and do reports.  I'm not a "reader" lol

#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Becoming an RN gives you many options for your career and your future. Becoming a CPM does not give you the same flexibility. Once I had children, becoming an RN appealed to me because of the diversity of options that career path offered me.

I love what I learned while training to become a midwife, and I believe it helps me as a nurse - it's all good stuff. Midwifery is near and dear to my heart - and always will be. If having some flexibility and a degree that can be furthered is valuable to you, I would recommend nursing. You can continue on to midwifery. Or there are many other areas of nursing, too.

#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM

You can find all the information you need about how to become a CPM here: http://narm.org/certification/how-to-become-a-cpm/

I am currently going through the NARM process as a MEAC student (enrolled in the National Midwifery Institute). I just finished one apprenticeship and have ten births to go before I can sit for the NARM exam.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Midwifery Programs , Direct Entry Midwife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page