Laws and CPMs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to become a midwife. My questions for you all are these: I've heard talk of CPM's being outlawed in the future, especially those who do not have a degree or have not gone to a MEAC school.;

Is there any possible truth to this? I know it is state by state, but where does the trend seem to be going? Any thoughts?

#2 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 02:00 AM

I have not heard from any reputable source about the CPM credential being revoked. Some states are starting to require a diploma from a MEAC school for licensing in their state, but that shouldn't affect working abroad unless it is a requirement of the agency you are working with. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If the state currently licenses CPMs decides to change its licensing requirements, there is usually a period given for the current license holders to meet those additional requirements. Or there may be a grandfathering in piece. But it is rare for a licensed profession to become outlawed. Alegal states have become illegal states for midwives... I don't know of any example where licensed providers become outlawed or illegal. Though the licensing standards and requirements are subject to change - and they may change. It is state-by-state, and therefore difficult to make any prediction.

Quote:
I like some of the non MEAC schools, but I don't want to spend the time and money and then have laws change.

I find it curious that when many discuss midwifery schools - the choice seems to hinge on money and legality, not the quality of the education. Personally, I want the best education I can get. I also want a reputable credential, and a well-defined and comprehensive scope of practice.

Quote:
  I'm concerned about licesure for the sake of being able to work in developing countries.

I don't understand how having a license in the US pertains to working in developing countries. The license is only good in the state where you work. It really doesn't mean anything in another country. To work in another country, one has to abide by those countries' laws and regulations (if any) surrounding midwifery.

I hope you find a midwifery program that challenges you and prepares you for the type of work you want to do.

#4 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate the well thought out replies.  In the country where I live now, if you are not licensed in your home country, you cannot practice here. That is why I am thinking about that part of things. Have a great day!

Tags
Midwives , Midwifery Programs , Midwifery Students , Direct Entry Midwife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page