Needing advice for the future - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like I should first introduce myself.  Hi all, I am a college freshman and I am utterly certain that being a midwife is my calling.  I'm not sure how to write this without sounding like some kid who is just fantasized with the idea; however, it is something I have done so much research into and I plan on doing more.  I just feel so drawn to the idea, like it was meant for me.  After I stumbled upon the career, I didn't think it would be for me.  In fact, I thought it would be impossible.  However, it was always something I went back to.  It was like a nagging "Sydney, this is what you were meant to do."  I was finding myself reading everything I could get my hands on.  And when I go back home after finals are over, I'm going to hit up the local library and read up everything they have too.  

Anyway, they point of this post is that I need direction for my future.  I feel as if I'm in this Y in the road.  I've read about both CNM's and CPM's.  They seem like two different approaches with the same result. I don't know which way is best for me and I would very much appreciate feedback from individuals.  Pros and Cons would be very helpful too!  

I would also would like to know how you got into the field, and how it worked/is working with starting a family.  As of now, I intend on majoring in Health Science, going into an Accelerated Nursing Program, and the working as a nurse for a while. After starting a family I would like to get my MSN.   Feedback on that as well would be great.  

I'm sorry if this post seems a little hectic.  I would just love some advice from people in the field.  Please just talk at me and give me your thoughts.  I've never had people in the profession give me advice, and I would strongly appreciate it.  

Thank you so much!

Sydney

#2 of 3 Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

It seems like you have a good idea of what you need to do. I'm in the same boat. I'm undergrad still doing pre-requisites, not yet accepted into my program of choice, and getting work as a doula as well. After you graduate and earn your RN, you will have to secure a job in L&D and work for a year before applying to get into the program to get your MSN to be a certified nurse midwife-- or at least that's what I have to do to get into my school of choice. Even thought the world feels that there is a nursing shortage, there is actually a shortage in specialties. L&D is not usually one of them. When you land a great L&D job you keep it! So there aren't tons of openings like on other floors. You may even have to take a job on a different floor and wait til you get hired on L&D.

But having that edge up- experience working with women in the childbearing year as a medical assistant, a doula, or a childbirth educator- can only help you land that job. I encourage you to start working in the field now so you can see if this work is really right for you. My work as a doula taught me a lot about my strengths and showed me that I am called to be a birth professional. And you can absolutely do all of this while starting a family. I am the proud SINGLE mother of an "attached" four year old boy.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your post.  I really appreciate the advice and direction you gave me!  Good luck to you!(: 

Tags
Midwives , Midwifery Programs , Midwifery Students , Direct Entry Midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page