Starting the search for a Midwife in the Portland, Oregon region... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We are currently living in Austin, Texas, but during my first trimester we will be moving to the Portland, Oregon area (probably a little outside of town). I am very excited about the move, but I want to plan on having as many preparations made for myself beforehand as possible. I at least want to look into options and I thought I might luck into meeting someone here who has a good reference or even someone who IS a midwife near that area...

Just wanted to reach out! Thanks everyone for your help :love

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#2 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The practiced who delivered my son is called A Gentle Beginning, (Catherine Schaefer and Regina Flannagan were the midwives) and I cannot say enough good things about them.  Catherine is a CNM and ND and has 25 years experience and Regina is ND (I'm not sure about her experience but she was wonderful).  It was such a low key, respectful experience throughout the whole pregnancy.  They have advanced resuscitation equipment and training (which was important to me), equipment to remove meconium from lungs, oxygen, pitocin etc.  We had a little bit of placenta drama and excessive bleeding after I had my son and they were able to deal with it quickly and efficiently, give me pitocin, and IV fluids before I even really knew what had happened and within a couple hours I had no lingering effects from blood loss (Which I'm told could be pretty awful).  I think if I'd had a midwife who wasn't able to give me pitocin (as I don't think many CPMs are able to do) I would've had to transfer to the hospital, it was really nice to be able to stay home.  Also, insurance is more willing to pay for a CNM (I got my insurance to cover in network-yay!).

Otherwise, my friend had her son with Liz Collins, ND and adored her.  I'm not sure about her style but she liked that she was both respectful and very safety-conscious.  Good luck!

KatelynRose likes this.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#3 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your recommendations, Gypsymama! :hug It is definitely important to me that my midwife is equipped to handle emergency situations so that we can remain at home. Also, it's good to know that insurance is sometimes willing to cover a CNM! Thanks for the advice! Very very helpful! I really appreciate it... 

I do have a few questions if you have the time to answer... did they have any restrictions/requirements about how long you carried your baby? Did they want you to induce at a certain time? I worry because the women in my family tend to have long pregnancies, and I don't want to be pressured to induce. Also, how did they prevent tears? 

Are you still living in the Portland area? I'm excited to move soon!! Sooo excited. 

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#4 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still interested in looking into more options, if anyone has any. I'd like to have a few known choices before I head out of Texas.

#5 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 12:58 AM

www.oregonmidwiferycouncil.org has midwife listings.

KatelynRose likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

www.oregonmidwiferycouncil.org has midwife listings.

Thanks for the reference! I'll check it out! I really appreciate it :shy

#7 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Ooops, sorry, apparently I unsubscribed to notification emails.  I think they do need women to have the baby by 42 weeks to be able to legally attend it at home (but they can fudge with your dates a little bit, especially if you don't have an exact LMP date), I would also interview them about it (you can do an interview before you commit) and let them know your family history of post-date pregnancies.  Also, for what it's worth, my mom had two pregnancies go to 42 weeks and both my kids were born at 38 wks 4 days and 39 weeks and 2 days, so you never know (I totally assumed I'd be going late, so I was shocked). As far as tears, they have birthing tubs they rent and can do water births, which supposedly helps (for some reason I could not get comfortable in the water in later labor).  They also encourage you to push with your contractions and push on your own timetable and I think they do warm compresses.  I do have to say that I did tear, but I kind of rushed it at the end (I just wanted to be done).  And they did say in our birth class, sometimes tears just happen, especially if baby has a hand up by his/her face.  They do have lidocaine (or whatever the numbing drug they can inject is called) and were able to stitch me up.  They also gave me this comfrey gel that helped a ton with healing. 

Other things-they do have you do the Gestational Diabetes test and test for GBS and do urine tests and monthly weigh ins (but you get to weigh yourself, in a private bathroom which is nice).  I actually appreciated all these things because I really wanted to stay on top of my health (I'm the type of person who wants to know absolutely everything that can go wrong so I can do every thing I can to prevent/correct it), but some people prefer not to test so that would be something you'd have to talk with them about.  They won't attend breech births at home, but they can recommend providers who will attend a vaginal breech in the hospital.  They also have a back up OB who is pretty respectful of women's choices and will help you to have a vaginal birth if at all possible. Also checkout: Portland Moms, Parenting in Portland, and SW WA and PDX Metro Moms, not so much for midwife recommendations but just general stuff about Portland.

I would suggest interviewing around with a couple different Midwife groups.  The other places we looked at were Alma-they have a birth center and do homebirths and have lots of classes, support groups, and moms groups, which is great for community; and Vivante, they do homebirths and have a CNM on staff.  I personally just felt most comfortable knowing that either an ND or CNM (or both) would be attending me (both those places have CPMs on staff), but I don't make any judgments about what other mothers choose to do.  I will say that in Oregon we don't have a whole lot of oversight for CPMs so if you do choose to go with one, just make sure you do a lot of research on her/him first to make sure you are comfortable with their experience/expertise.  For what it's worth I've heard nothing but good experiences with both groups.

I do still live in Portland.  Let me know if you want to meet for coffee when you get to town, I always like meeting new moms :)  Also check out the facebook group Portland Mamas-if you asked this question there I'm sure you'd get 15 different recommendations within the hour, tons of great resources there.

KatelynRose likes this.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#8 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you thank you for all of your advice! I'm taking notes and checking out some of the webpages you mentioned... just trying to be as prepared as I can before I leave, but I'll have to do most of my search there.. interviews and such.

It'd be great to get coffee once we move! Like I said, we don't know many people in the area, and I don't know anyone who has had kids in that area.. I'm happy I've been able to meet you here, you've been very helpful! I appreciate your kind energy :hippie

Until we move (only a few more weeks!) I'm trying to focus on taking care of myself, eating right, being peaceful, taking long walks.. etc.. while I read up on nutrients that I'll need and what to expect/how to prepare for an at home water birth... 

How did you deliver? I see you've given birth to two precious babes... I'm just curious about other womens' experiences.. You say you didn't like the tub?

#9 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Whoops, I apparently suck at editing my posts.  Those websites I mentioned in the middle should have been at the end. They're all facebook groups.  I'll post more about my births after I get my son to bed, right now he is trying to eat his sisters markers, lol.

#10 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post

Whoops, I apparently suck at editing my posts.  Those websites I mentioned in the middle should have been at the end. They're all facebook groups.  I'll post more about my births after I get my son to bed, right now he is trying to eat his sisters markers, lol.

No big deal, haha, I'm always partially distracted when I'm posting here too.. 

Sounds colorful! :) Talk to you soon!

#11 of 11 Old 02-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post

Ooops, sorry, apparently I unsubscribed to notification emails.  I think they do need women to have the baby by 42 weeks to be able to legally attend it at home (but they can fudge with your dates a little bit, especially if you don't have an exact LMP date), I would also interview them about it (you can do an interview before you commit) and let them know your family history of post-date pregnancies.  Also, for what it's worth, my mom had two pregnancies go to 42 weeks and both my kids were born at 38 wks 4 days and 39 weeks and 2 days, so you never know (I totally assumed I'd be going late, so I was shocked). As far as tears, they have birthing tubs they rent and can do water births, which supposedly helps (for some reason I could not get comfortable in the water in later labor).  They also encourage you to push with your contractions and push on your own timetable and I think they do warm compresses.  I do have to say that I did tear, but I kind of rushed it at the end (I just wanted to be done).  And they did say in our birth class, sometimes tears just happen, especially if baby has a hand up by his/her face.  They do have lidocaine (or whatever the numbing drug they can inject is called) and were able to stitch me up. 

Actually midwives in Oregon can attend a birth up to 43 weeks as long as baby and mama are staying well.
phathui5 likes this.

Tags
Midwives , Choosing A Midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page