PEP route? - Mothering Forums
Midwives > PEP route?
kerri124's Avatar kerri124 05:00 PM 03-30-2014

I live in NJ and I was hoping someone could tell me if NJ state allows you to get your CPM through the PEP process or do you have to go through a MEAC accredited school? Thanks for your help!

phathui5's Avatar phathui5 02:24 PM 03-31-2014

http://mana.org/about-midwives/state-by-state#NJ

New Jersey

Both Certified Nurse-Midwives and direct entry midwives (CMs and MEAC graduate CPMs) may practice and be licensed in NJ. All are licensed as licensed midwives.

Licensing Agencies

The State of New Jersey: Department of Law and Public Safety: Division of Consumer Affairs: State Board of Medical Examiners: Midwifery Liaison Committee
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/midwives/index.htm
Contact Info:
P.O. Box 183, Trenton, New Jersey 08625
609-826-7100

Consumer Organizations

None found

Professional Organizations

Garden State Midwifery Guild
[email protected]
New Jersey Affiliate of ACNM
http://www.newjerseymidwife.org/

kerri124's Avatar kerri124 03:01 PM 03-31-2014

Thank you for the information. I also just got official confirmation from NARM that in NJ you DO need a MEAC education so I guess the PEP route is a no go for me which is so disappointing.

phathui5's Avatar phathui5 05:50 PM 03-31-2014

Honestly, I think it's for the best. I passed the NARM in February after having completed a MEAC program. Going through a formal program ensures that everything you'll need as a direct-entry midwife gets covered. It also lends legitimacy to what we're doing.

I think there's too much wiggle room with the PEP process, where you could pass the NARM really without knowing everything that you need to know. An example of this is the preceptor I had (who went through the PEP process) and didn't know all the steps for handling a cord prolapse. She had one close call and didn't know what to do beyond knee-chest.

kerri124's Avatar kerri124 06:05 PM 03-31-2014

I'm sure you're right. And I really did want to do a MEAC school at first but  my daughter is still young. I wanted to be able to do the academic part of the training first over the next couple years and then move on to the clinical part when she is a little older. I didn't want to wait. But with a MEAC school I think I would need to find a preceptor and start clinical skills much earlier than I anticipated.

phathui5's Avatar phathui5 08:58 PM 03-31-2014

Are you already a doula? If not, maybe you could get that certification first and get some experience attending births (without the super crazy midwife schedule). 

kerri124's Avatar kerri124 08:17 AM 04-29-2014

Thank you I think I may look into that. But I also found a MEAC school that may work- National Midwifery Institute. It allows you to be in the program up to 3 1/2 years before you HAVE to start clinicals so by then it may be more doable for me. In the meantime I could do the didactic portion of the midwife studies. It may be an option. Now I just have to come up with the $5,000 down payment :/

Tags: Midwives , Midwifery Programs , Midwifery Students , Direct Entry Midwife
Up