Mothering Forum banner
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  quantumleap 
#1 ·
Hi! I have been scouring this website and forums, reading all the things people have to say about paths to becoming a midwife and decided I should make my own account and chime in!
I have applied to maternidad la luz and have my fingers crossed that I will be accpeted for the program beginning this september. Has anyone else applied?
To those sister midwives who have attended mll- where are you now?! Any advice for a newbie like me?
Skye

#2 ·
Hey sister,

I just applied to MLL for Sept 2014 and got in!!!! I've been researching the area, just got my welcome packet with info about El Paso and am feeling excited and certainly intimidated.

My good friend Rosie graduated from there 2 years ago, so she's told me a little about it. Also I found a documentary about it thats BEAUTIFUL called Catching Babies you can check out.

So..did you get in? Are we gonna be classmates?

If so lets connect more!!

<3

Madison

#3 ·
How much experience with birth did you have before you were accepted at MLL? I am applying to MCU and they told me there were 3 times as many applicants than spots available and since I have little birth experience there isn't much hope for me. I'm really worried I'm not going to be accepted into any MEAC programs.

#4 ·
MLL, like all MEAC programs, has to adhere to the new NARM guidelines that require a billion things. Lots of MLL students come with very limited, or no, birth experience. The new guidelines hold things up once you get there, but the school is working to make sure people can get their observational births done during the three week orientation period. To sit NARM now though, you also need both home and hospital births, neither of which can be acquired at MLL. So, you'll have to find those elsewhere! Might be a good idea to do some doula training, or figure out how to shadow a care provider for a few births, or something along those lines. A good idea, not just for the numbers, but also to see how, or even *if* you want to practice down the line. Also, Spanish. You didn't mention your fluency, but being, at least, functional in Spanish isn't really optional if you want to provide decent care. MLL isn't as strict with the language fluency as they could/should be, but students need to take this on in order to provide ethical care, and also in order to get all the learning out of the situation as they can.
Suerte!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.