Mothering Forum banner

National Midwifery Institute

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jackie Walker 
#1 ·
I am looking at this school as an option. Can anyone give me any insight into the program? Is it good? Do you feel you receive enough support? I know the Hearts & Hands coursework can be completed solo but what about the study group coursework? Can you complete that on your own before you start your clinicals? I am asking because I have searched and cannot seem to locate any midwife study groups or even any new students in general in my area and it seems like all the midwives in my state are well over an hour away. Thanks for any advice you can share!

#2 ·
This is the school I'm pretty much decided to go to. I'm taking the heart and hands coursework in San Rafael this summer, and will probably sign up (the $ goes towards tuition) after that. I'm sure you could find a study group if you asked in the right place- where are you located?

#3 ·
I'm in NJ. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for study groups. Most of the midwives seem to be up north about 1 1/2-2 hours away from me. I guess I will keep looking. Let me know how you make out with the Heart and Hands workshops. I would have to do the distance learning intensives instead of the workshops because its not feasible for me to go to CA now.

#4 ·
Hi Kerril24

I live in Mount Holly NJ and I did the National College of Midwifery program. My preceptors where about 40 min. north of me although some births were almost 2 hrs away. It is a MEAC accredited program that enables you to be licensed in NJ when you are through (if you chose). There are a great group of midwives here in NJ and over the bridge, but they are spread out.

#6 ·
I did. I finished and took the NARM in 2008. It took me five years with some time off for having babies. I have not practiced as a CPM though. During the last year of my training I saw some very serious complications at home births and just felt that I was not prepared enough to start my own practice. In addition, it is just really difficult to get backup where I live. My preceptors were nurse midwives and I loved the way they could continue caring for clients they transferred in from home. There are NO midwives practicing in my area, either nurse or direct entry. I decided to go the nurse midwife route. I am now doing a one year second bachelor's degree in nursing and then will do a midwifery masters. I look forward to serving families in my area in the future!

#7 ·
I went through the National Midwifery Institute program. I started in August of 2011 and graduated this April. I took (and passed) the NARM this February and am now a CPM and an Oregon LDM.

With the NMI coursework, you can either do the study group modules solo, start a study group, find a study group, find or start a group online (I was in one on facebook for a while), etc. You have options.

#8 ·
Application

I am seriously considering the National Midwifery Institute and wondering if you could offer any advise about the program and/or admissions? I'm single with no kids and am switching from a very different career. I feel like I'm a step behind everyone else in birth experience and am concerned about getting into a MEAC accredited program. I am taking a doula course the fall and have been doing a bunch of independent learning. Unfortunately my current job doesn't allow me the time to be doing an apprenticeship with the preceptor I already have lined up. Any advise for preparing myself for getting into a school?

How did you like the NMI program? Can you tell me more about it?

#9 ·
I did my training through NMI and lOVE the program and staff. I know this is a late response and you have most likely already chose, but I thought I would chime in. I have to say that distance education can be challenging if you do not have a lot of local support, so I hope that you have a great birth community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.