Mothering Forum banner

Midwives willing to travel for VBA2C

896 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sillysapling 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am located in Colorado and I am expecting my 4th baby at the end of July/early August.

I am kinda in a bind because of how the CO law reads on DEMs attending VBAMC. They can attend VBAC after multiple c/s if the last birth was vaginal...well in my case baby #1 was c/s because she was breech at the onset of labor, #2 was a successful HBAC with a CPM, and #3 was planned to be another HBAC but we opted for a c/s because our son's heart rate was very low and it seemed like the safest option in our situation. Now I'm left with little to no access to VBA2C. Even the hospital providers I contacted didn't sound supportive and I'd rather not even go that route.

Are there any midwives willing to travel to attend a VBAC birth?

#2 ·
I'm a supporter of homebirth, I had one myself, but please be careful. I would be wary of a midwife willing to travel far for any homebirth and especially one that's high risk. If you do decide to do that, you may want to do shadow care with a local OB so you can more easily go to the hospital if something goes wrong and hte midwife can't get to you quickly. (not a bad idea either way)

I'm also not totally clear on why you need a midwife who's willing to travel. Are there just no midwives who live near you? Are you hoping to find an out of state midwife- because I don't know the legality of that. I think they'd still be expected to follow CO law, because that's where they'd be practicing.

Do you have any family who lives in a state that's more friendly to this? Would it be possible for you to stay with them for the last month or so of your pregnancy to do a HB? Some people will do that, I've even seen people rent a cabin or something in another state.

Good luck, I hope you can work this out to get the birth you want. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.