• 1 Post By sewingmama
  • 1 Post By judyblueeyes
#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home Birth in Elizabethtown, PA?

Hi all,

I'm new to the mothering forums (and forums in general), but I figured if there was anyone out there who could help me find a midwife, she'd be here.

I'm pregnant with my third child, due in April; I've had two previous home births, which I LOVED. We were planning to have another home birth with this one, but our midwife, Mary McLane is retiring in December...so we're at a loss.

Currently, I'm being pushed along at May-Grant - going for an intake appointment on Tuesday, but I'm already terrified of a hospital birth and tentative about prenatal care at such a large practice.

Does anyone know of any other home birth midwives in the area? Or can anyone suggest a practice that is super crunchy and supports natural birth (and opting out of most/all prenatal testing)?

Thank you!!

P.S. Birth Care is not an option for us because of the hour drive from Elizabethtown - my last labor lasted less than two hours from start to finish.
Sponsored Links
#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
I think Judi Mentzer in Orrstown is too far for you, and I think she took a break anyway, but I'm not sure. She's very good, though, and I'd recommend her wholeheartedly.

Barb Cavanaugh at Central PA Birth and Breastfeeding Services -- also maybe too far, but she is excellent, and I'd recommend her too.

Rowan Cerelli, Carlisle -- the little I know about her I like and would recommend.

Paula Hostler is in the York area and might be close enough for you. I haven't used her myself, but I know other people have liked her a lot.

You might call Birth Care and ask them if they can recommend anyone close enough to work with you.

But I also think you should be prepared for a UC, because with such a fast labor, you may not be able to get anywhere or have someone get to you. As scary as a UC might sound, it would be worse if you weren't at all prepared for it.
applejuice likes this.

Mama to a bunch
#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Thank you so much for the recommendations! I think the Carlisle midwives will be a bit too far, but I might try Paula Hostler.

As far as the UC, we're definitely preparing for all possibilities. My first labor was 12 hours so I'm not consistently quick, but we want to be prepared, just in case.

Thanks again!
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page