Giving a presentation on Postpartum Doulas tomorrow night. Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm speaking to a hospital-sponsored breastfeeding support group about PPDs tomorrow, and would love any fun ideas! One thing I'm thinking of is passing around the PPD's Bag of Tricks, and having attendees pull out items that represent various functions and benefits of postpartum doula care (i.e. a scrubby for light housecleaning, a sleep mask for naps, a baby book for infant care info, a coffee mug for companionship, that kind of thing). I'll have a white board and easel as well.

Anything snazzy?

#2 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM

bump

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#3 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Sorry you didn't get any responses on this one.  Honestly I can't think of anything other then maybe bringing along slings and wraps and modeling how they are used - also maybe letting them try them on and play around with your slings/wraps.  Modeling goes a long way to opening up to new ideas.  

Also maybe sharing what postpartum doulas do and don't do (like making sure they understand that doulas aren't babysitters or housekeepers - I often get that one and it is frustrating that they don't get the role of a doula is to mother the mother).  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 4 Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 AM

This is done all the time at presentations... have everyone stand up and give  a quick back massage to the person on their right... it lifts everyone's mood and shows how the simpliest thiung, the power of touch can transform the way a person or a whole group feels...a small example of the comforting presence of a doula.

Peace!

Amy Gribbin

Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Breasfeeding Counselor,

Doula, Certified Infant Massage Instructor, Birth Junkie

champagne.gif

Celebrate Motherhood!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page